Lean cruise

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
0081(2)
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:59 am
cars: VY commodore supercharged V6
Location: Sydney

Lean cruise

Post by 0081(2) »

I nearly have my tune dialed in now and i want to start looking at the lean cruise table but im not too sure on what the data means or how to use it.

The table is called Lean Cruise - Air Fuel Delta Vs RPM and CYLAIR, can someone explain how to use this table.
Most of the data in it is 0.00 or 0.70

Thanks Pete
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Lean cruise

Post by Holden202T »

So in the case of .7 I think you will find when it's at that point the commanded afr of 14.70 it is 14.70 + .70 = 15.40 commanded afr!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Lean cruise

Post by vlad01 »

when I use this function, the target AFR always read 16:1, might of been 17:1 ?, and pretty sure the table had the default 0.7 delta?
Last edited by vlad01 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Lean cruise

Post by vlad01 »

yeah, it was 17:1. with lean cruise enabled, just looked at my old videos.
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Lean cruise

Post by VL400 »

Are you sure it had a 0.7 delts default? The deafult I thought was 2.3 on early V6 bins, so works out to 17:1 target (probably a little too lean and can be fine tuned).
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Lean cruise

Post by vlad01 »

you are probably right on the default values.

17:1 is fine, I reckon you can go even leaner than that.
0081(2)
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:59 am
cars: VY commodore supercharged V6
Location: Sydney

Re: Lean cruise

Post by 0081(2) »

What are the conditions for lean cruise to enable ?? all i can see is a temp enable but im guessing there is some time limit or something like that.

My stock bin varied from 0.41 to 2.31 will need to do some tests to work out where its happy
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Lean cruise

Post by The1 »

lean cruise is pointless in most cases, you may save 0.1L/100 but that's about it, 15.4:1 is touted as the best AFR for a complete burn. Non flash pcm's have a timeout since idle to enable lean cruise, as well as coolant and speed. Flash PCM's have the same but the timeout is in a table.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Lean cruise

Post by vlad01 »

from my calcs, 8.6% less fuel usage when its active which more of less reflects what I observed when using it, I adjusted the parameters so it comes on a lower road speed and the timeout much shorter so I could use it more often.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Lean cruise

Post by Holden202T »

yeah that was one thing I changed too, made it come on earlier after a stop.... I honestly didn't spend too much time on it other than some fine tuning of the settings due to different thermostat etc in my car ...