Ok so the turbo I got offered, is still on offer for 550. It wasnt a ba turbo infact its an FG turbocharger.
I asked a friend of with who has an fg xr6t and he told me the compressor ar is .50 but you can purchase the .70 front cover kit for 300 bucks or so.
He then told me the rear a/r is 1.3ish but all the info I can find states they are 1.06. Can anyone shed some ligh on that?
The most important question I have which could negate the need for the others to be answered is
Will this turbo work for my application?
vn v6 turbocharger choice
-
vn304turbo
- Posts: 60
- Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:26 pm
- cars: Vn exec wagon factory v8
-
krusty
- Posts: 572
- Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
- cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
- Location: Melbourne, VIC
Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice
Yep, 1.06a/r rear. That's the better version over the 0.86vn304turbo wrote:Ok so the turbo I got offered, is still on offer for 550. It wasnt a ba turbo infact its an FG turbocharger.
I asked a friend of with who has an fg xr6t and he told me the compressor ar is .50 but you can purchase the .70 front cover kit for 300 bucks or so.
He then told me the rear a/r is 1.3ish but all the info I can find states they are 1.06. Can anyone shed some ligh on that?
The most important question I have which could negate the need for the others to be answered is
Will this turbo work for my application?
This is essentially what you're getting for $550 http://www.gcgturbosonline.net/category ... d2d-detail .
If you want to run an external gate a lot of guys weld the flapper section off and do that. Easy 350-400rwkw potential from these as long as the chra is all good and minimal shaft play
-
vn304turbo
- Posts: 60
- Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:26 pm
- cars: Vn exec wagon factory v8
Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice
Yea my mate reckons they are good for 330rwkw on an fg before you need to upgrade the compressor side to .70
Bloke with the turbo reckons it only has 20 thousand kms on it so should be in good nik.
Im going to check it out this afternoon I just hope it will work for the buick 6.
I know for a 5 litre v8 the 1.06 rear is great but with a .70 front i just dont want it to be too big on the v6 and laggy
Bloke with the turbo reckons it only has 20 thousand kms on it so should be in good nik.
Im going to check it out this afternoon I just hope it will work for the buick 6.
I know for a 5 litre v8 the 1.06 rear is great but with a .70 front i just dont want it to be too big on the v6 and laggy
-
krusty
- Posts: 572
- Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
- cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
- Location: Melbourne, VIC
Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice
It will work better than pretty much anything else. Just tune the ass out of the bottom end to aid response but bulk torque will happenvn304turbo wrote:Yea my mate reckons they are good for 330rwkw on an fg before you need to upgrade the compressor side to .70
Bloke with the turbo reckons it only has 20 thousand kms on it so should be in good nik.
Im going to check it out this afternoon I just hope it will work for the buick 6.
I know for a 5 litre v8 the 1.06 rear is great but with a .70 front i just dont want it to be too big on the v6 and laggy
-
Dazza92VP
- Posts: 608
- Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm
- cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon
- Location: Perth
Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice
sorry to hi jack a little bit but i can get my hands a few good holset hx35w turbos. now they mainly run these guys on cummins ISC but a lot of S13 and RB boys a running these with 12cm2 housings (holset are retarted and dont measure in a/r like everyone else) and also ive seen mustang v6 3800 i think and saabs running them the only thing is the ones i can get hold of are 16cm2 exhaust housings twin scroll and im wondering if you guys would know how it would spool on the commodore v6s? im unsure of what size the compressor side is.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice
hx35 is pretty much the same as my H1E holset.the rear housings they have are big ok on a 304 way big on v6.i fitted my 0.82 twin scroll housing off my china turbo but its too small for the extra fins on the holset exhaust wheel and increased back pressure but spooled up mint.you can buy rear housings cheap online that are especially made for them as they didnt have a stock small rear
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
vn304turbo
- Posts: 60
- Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:26 pm
- cars: Vn exec wagon factory v8
Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice
Here is the new turbo, 1.06 rear .50 front and is indeed the ford variant (has "ford" logo in the rear casting)
Delcowizzid should I stick with the .50 a/r front or go to the .70 a/r?
A ford loving friend of mine reckons I wont need the bigger front cover but he doesnt know commodores or the v6 engine like you guys
Delcowizzid should I stick with the .50 a/r front or go to the .70 a/r?
A ford loving friend of mine reckons I wont need the bigger front cover but he doesnt know commodores or the v6 engine like you guys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice
just run it like it is
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice
I agree, if it can make the power on a ford motor it should be spot on for a v6!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice
Since when do ford motors make power ? Lol