Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

can't be as rare as VP vacationer badges though, I reckon I got the only 2 out of 4 left in existence.


Got this from my half brother, a monster jack he took apart 25+ years ago or so and never got the ram reco, leaking seal or something he reckons.

He is going to take the ram to a specialist in Ballarat. if its all good, that is my next restro project. I am currently borrowing his good jack from 1970s. I refuse to buy a new jack as they are all POS china crap and dangerous to use due to failing too quick, as china made stuff does.
IMG_1270_zps58016485.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

Radiator design been signed off, Finally! Lots of changes to make OEM like drop in radiator with no mods whatsoever required.

Bit of an oddball design but will fit like factory. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

Picked up the AC pulley and couple other stuff I chucked in to make plating worth while.
IMG_1296_zps182cce6a.jpg

Bearing!
IMG_1297_zps7de2dd5e.jpg
then this happen, see the fine wear mark above the circlip groove? yeah its fouling. Turns out out of all the pulleys I had, this one was the best for plating but happen to be the only one slightly different to the rest and doesn't fit. What I worked out is that lip is twice as thick as the other ones because this must of come from a really early AC compressor which is electromagnet is fixed the comp differently to the other comps I have laying around including the one on the VR. :rant:

So going to try getting it machined down tomorrow while I'm in town. :wall:
IMG_1298_zpsfd9d4dc2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by ejukated »

vlad01 wrote:Radiator design been signed off, Finally! Lots of changes to make OEM like drop in radiator with no mods whatsoever required.

Bit of an oddball design but will fit like factory. :)
Why is the design not recommended by PWR?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

because its nothing like their off the shelf design nor can they guarantee the fit as I'm making all the calls for the design. I know it will fit though :D
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by Holden202T »

I can't understand why they wouldn't want to make one that drops straight in to replace a factory one ?!?!! as I see it, its in their best interests to do so, because it will surely mean more business ?!?!
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by HQ355 »

They probably will now thanks to Mr Vlad supplying them with the drawings and so on !
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

lol, yeah that was my thoughts too, but they reckon theirs do. I call impossible because one needed fan mods to mount the fan, another was too thick and forward facing that is would foul the radiator support up top.

They said their design for for no compromise performance. I needed no compromise fit more than anything.

anyway its done and should be here not too long.

well AC pulley machined and fits perfect now and no more SC like whine lol. Drove the car around the yard and driveway. I have a 300 odd m long driveway.
It was good enough weather that we had 2 days of partly sunny in over 6 weeks of rains and close to 0 temps. So the driveway has some traction :lol: Still even with 235s its wheels spin at the drop of a hat, its got tones of acceleration, not even tuned yet. The last time I drove it it was too wet for any grip so it didn't feel quick.

Can't wait to get this on the road and tune.

While I was out today I got a hydrometer from a petshop for aquariums. This one low enough range to be able to meter coolant concentrations since I lost some and topped it with water and can't really start again because I no longer have access to the block drain plugs due to the extractors. I need to achieve minimum of 50/50 but 55%-60% is best.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

Update time!

sorry I got excited with too many pics :lol:

my design fitted like factory. Only thing I had to do is slice off 4mm off each rubber side mount to accommodate the bases of the mounting pegs, I already knew that might of happen as this was a manufacturing limitation discussed during the design phase. Once I trimmed though, dropped in like factory.
IMG_1354_zps491fc9aa.jpg
IMG_1353_zpsb18c5aee.jpg
Tapered end tank fits those areas int he next 2 pic beautifully!
IMG_1351_zps82220db4.jpg
IMG_1350_zps63871ace.jpg
Got my measurements right! 8-)
IMG_1349_zpsae92120d.jpg
Quality welds.
IMG_1355_zps98381ed0.jpg
Excellent weld penetration.
IMG_1356_zpscc5b8ba4.jpg
Look at that OEM fit!!
IMG_1357_zps9fcc217d.jpg
IMG_1360_zps9c420226.jpg
Bonnet clears perfect thanks to my crazy angled filler idea, look kinda neat.
IMG_1361_zps00dc5e9a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

Oh yeah, the hoses grab on real easy now. I tried to move them with the clamps done up only lightly, doesn't move and barbs are decent.