CF Bedford Van

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Dylan »

Maybe more volume but same pressure?
The problem with the earlier master cylinders on the big piston calipers is as the piston moves past the fill valve the caliper has taken a lot of fluid and then as the valve is covered by the piston it cant fill anymore and spongy pedal. Although i do understand its a sealed system and should be no air etc this may not make sense.
With the bigger bore and fill valve it makes the world of difference.

I am no mechanical guru at all (far from it) so take this very lightly, its just my understanding from reading on the internet.


A mate if mine has this master booster combo on a Vk. He had the VT calipers and now has the Nissan 4 piston front 2 piston rear and it way out performs the VT calipers.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Holden202T »

yeah vlad01 the hubs are very similar to the one pictured.

the master/booster is yet to be decided on, but being that the Bedford has a really short engine bay I can't make it anything longer than the original, from memory measuring a VN/VP setup its about the same as the Bedford stuff, but I am going to try and find a master to fit the Bedford booster if possible, only because it will make the conversion easier .... but I also need to check the Gemini booster, they are common for conversions and in my Gemini with XA/XB 1 inch master on it along with vt fronts and vn rear discs the pedal is light enough and doesn't travel too far, so I will be happy with anything that I can get to fit!

but honestly, the booster/master will be the easy bit, its the brake adaptors and such that will be the challenge of the whole thing.

plan is for crewman diff most likely so will have the right rears to match the fronts, so should be sweet as :)

dad always said he reckoned the HQ disc conversion they did on the old Bedford was never much better than the stock drums, it just kept the engineers happy, but the VT's are a fair whack better !

I put vn rears and VP V8 fronts on the Torana and that was awesome brakes, so I have no doubts the VT's will kick ass on the Bedford, its not going to end up as heavy as a VT ;)
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Dylan »

For booster if short on length check out the plastic model found in the VS like VL400 mentioned. Only single diaghram and can easily adapt the VT master, or even keep then VS master it will perform better then the older style.
Nothing you wont workout anyway!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by vlad01 »

The spongy feeling I gather is because the smaller bore diameter, in a hydraulic system a small cylinder driving a larger cylinder has greater mechanical leverage but requires more movement to get the same distance moved by the larger slave cylinder verses a system which has a larger primary cylinder vs slave if that makes sense?

so if every thing else equal, the small MC will actually brake harder but more pedal travel. The point I was leading to is in the smaller MC the feedback of hoses expanding, caliper flex etc are amplified as felt as spongy feeling. Which I find that spongy feeling is greatly reduced with new hoses or better yet braided ones.

The later brakes are so much better A, bigger calipers= more pad area. B, more powerful boosters. C, multi piston calipers. And its because of C we need the larger MC bores as the volume displaced by the multi piston calipers need to be matched to retain the same master/slave ratio so the pedal travel remains the same as always.

a lot of older Fords used very big MC to caliper ratio and as result the pedal is very hard and barely moves, because the boosters sucked in the early 90s and prior their brakes are super hard and don't really work at all. (both feet, break the seat, still crash into the curb)
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:yeah vlad01 the hubs are very similar to the one pictured.

the master/booster is yet to be decided on, but being that the Bedford has a really short engine bay I can't make it anything longer than the original, from memory measuring a VN/VP setup its about the same as the Bedford stuff, but I am going to try and find a master to fit the Bedford booster if possible, only because it will make the conversion easier .... but I also need to check the Gemini booster, they are common for conversions and in my Gemini with XA/XB 1 inch master on it along with vt fronts and vn rear discs the pedal is light enough and doesn't travel too far, so I will be happy with anything that I can get to fit!

but honestly, the booster/master will be the easy bit, its the brake adaptors and such that will be the challenge of the whole thing.

plan is for crewman diff most likely so will have the right rears to match the fronts, so should be sweet as :)

dad always said he reckoned the HQ disc conversion they did on the old Bedford was never much better than the stock drums, it just kept the engineers happy, but the VT's are a fair whack better !

I put vn rears and VP V8 fronts on the Torana and that was awesome brakes, so I have no doubts the VT's will kick ass on the Bedford, its not going to end up as heavy as a VT ;)
the VT are like 100 times better than VN/VP brakes. you will love them.

You might even black out or become sick :lol:
User avatar
jenko
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:43 am
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon
Location: Pine mountain .vic

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by jenko »

User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by delcowizzid »

they like old hillman hunter remote boosters good for hidden booster upgrade
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by Holden202T »

I don't need to go remote, commodore booster/master will fit from one model or another ;) the main reason I'd keep the Bedford booster if anything is because the pedal hook up is easier! But like I said anything is possible and it's all been done before!!

And vlad I was referring to vp v8 or better known as vl turbo ... Yes I know they arnt the same as vt's but they are 290mm and do work really well, certainly when compared to the toranas small disc which is not ventilated!!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:I don't need to go remote, commodore booster/master will fit from one model or another ;) the main reason I'd keep the Bedford booster if anything is because the pedal hook up is easier! But like I said anything is possible and it's all been done before!!

And vlad I was referring to vp v8 or better known as vl turbo ... Yes I know they arnt the same as vt's but they are 290mm and do work really well, certainly when compared to the toranas small disc which is not ventilated!!

yeah those are standard on all VPs from 10/92. All my holdens have those as standard, so when I talk about vn/vp brakes they're the only ones that come to mind.

So yes, VT ones are 100 times better than the BIG VP brakes to clear it up.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Bedford CF Van

Post by delcowizzid »

vn-vp big disc setup should haul up the beddy well compared to stock .use some good HQ/HZ pads off the girlock i think it is calipers and you gain a heap of pad area clamping on the disc for even better stopping power.HQ caliper conversion would probably end up with more stopping power from the bigger pistons .but using a commodore master cylinder and HQ calipers the rear commodore brakes dont come on much
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem