Just wondering if anyone has any info on how to reset the top chain tensioners?
I know the lower 1 is like the falcon (ea to bf -not sure about fg) where you push in & turn & locks in place.
But the top one's have relief holes & when bought new they're pushed all the way home with a pin to stop them popping out!
But thinking there has to be a way to get them to go all the home & re-put pin back in, but have forced it hard with relief valve orrifice's left open & goes 3/4 but not the whole way?
Alloytec Cam Timing
-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Alloytec Cam Timing
Last edited by VX L67 Getrag on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: Alloytec Chain Tensioner's
there is a ratchet mechanism inside them. they shouldnt go back at all just pushing them, its designed to always keep tension on the chain when starting with no oil pressure. if you can push them 3/4 back in without resetting the ratchet mechanism inside they are toast and need replacing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Re: Alloytec Chain Tensioner's
Thanks for that, there is a tool that's supposed to keep the tensioner at its point while replacing cams...,
Have to becareful it's locked in the chain!
It seems to be trying to put in back in but could be wrong once I take the cover off tomorrow, but luckily have a new tensioner just in case!
Thanks heaps for the info!
Have to becareful it's locked in the chain!
It seems to be trying to put in back in but could be wrong once I take the cover off tomorrow, but luckily have a new tensioner just in case!
Thanks heaps for the info!
-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Re: Alloytec Chain Tensioner's
So this is what happens if you try & close 1 of these hydraulic tensioners in a vice...
That was actually 1 I took out of a car that had seized & caused timing chain to jump teeth, so it was seized that bad it wouldn't move hence my not knowing how they feedback in. But the car I was doing the cam change on I had recently put oil flush in & changed the oil so it was all moving freely & easy to see how it work's & is exact the same as the lower tensioner just smaller.
In the photo you'll see the end of 1 cam shaft which is the high speed fuel pump drive for the later LLT engine's but mine is only a 190Kw LY7 so no need for that & just cut it off as it wouldn't fit inside my head otherwise!
In the photo you'll see the end of 1 cam shaft which is the high speed fuel pump drive for the later LLT engine's but mine is only a 190Kw LY7 so no need for that & just cut it off as it wouldn't fit inside my head otherwise!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Re: Alloytec Chain Tensioner's
Has anyone seen the advertised cam timings for the LEO, LY7, LCS & LLT style GM angines?
I've been told the factory have 187 @0.050 & the 1's I've fitted are 210 @ 0.050, which doesn't really help when the tuning companies don't have the EOIT defined but hoping if I can find what the factory settings are I might be able back trace, but then it depends whether there set as single or double byte!
I've been told the factory have 187 @0.050 & the 1's I've fitted are 210 @ 0.050, which doesn't really help when the tuning companies don't have the EOIT defined but hoping if I can find what the factory settings are I might be able back trace, but then it depends whether there set as single or double byte!
-
monaro308
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:02 am
- cars: HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV
Re: Alloytec Cam Timing
Does this help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
VX L67 Getrag
- Posts: 2971
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
- Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria
Re: Alloytec Cam Timing
That would definitely help thank you, now it's just a matter of knowing what format it's in to identify it!