I might be barking up the wrong tree here, I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. If I leave the original ecu connected, disconnect the injector plugs & the ignition coil & connect them up to an 808 delco & run the 2 ecu's in parallel with a 12P tune or maybe the new 11P might be better, I have only had a quick glance at this stage. So let me know your thoughts as to whether it will work or not.
Delco Jeep
-
v6bucket
- Posts: 768
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 am
Delco Jeep
I recently purchased a 1997 Jeep Cherokee, being from the US & fitted with an ecu, I thought that some body would have a way of hacking the ecu. Wasn't I wrong
, it seems that Chrysler done a good job of locking it up.Whilst there are people with access to the ecu, most charge you for the privilege, & at this stage I haven't found any "open source" access. So why not convert it to a Delco, sounds easy enough, but Chrysler connected everything to the ecu, the instruments in the dash, the air con, the air bags & the tranny.
I might be barking up the wrong tree here, I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. If I leave the original ecu connected, disconnect the injector plugs & the ignition coil & connect them up to an 808 delco & run the 2 ecu's in parallel with a 12P tune or maybe the new 11P might be better, I have only had a quick glance at this stage. So let me know your thoughts as to whether it will work or not.
I might be barking up the wrong tree here, I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. If I leave the original ecu connected, disconnect the injector plugs & the ignition coil & connect them up to an 808 delco & run the 2 ecu's in parallel with a 12P tune or maybe the new 11P might be better, I have only had a quick glance at this stage. So let me know your thoughts as to whether it will work or not.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Delco Jeep
you might find if your original PCM doesn't see the information its expecting it might chuck a spaz and throw up error codes etc....
I guess the other question is, are the sensors suitable to give the delco the right information or are you planning to run extra sensors to achieve this ?
in theory it probably should work, but we all know the actual real world always throw curve balls
personally all I have ever heard about jeeps is bad stories hehehe but maybe the delco is the answer lol!
I guess the other question is, are the sensors suitable to give the delco the right information or are you planning to run extra sensors to achieve this ?
in theory it probably should work, but we all know the actual real world always throw curve balls
personally all I have ever heard about jeeps is bad stories hehehe but maybe the delco is the answer lol!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Delco Jeep
I think that model jeep is using an Aisin trans, that is really similar to what Toyota used in a heap of cars. Would need to check the exact model of it, but if its the fully electronic model the Delco can likely control the majority of functions, if the solenoids are like the Aisin version Toyota used it needs an interface module as the solenoids are switched with 12V rather than ground like the Delco does.
The biggest problem sounds like keeping the rest of the car happy though
The biggest problem sounds like keeping the rest of the car happy though
-
v6bucket
- Posts: 768
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 am
Re: Delco Jeep
The trans is an Aisin/Warner AW4, which is basically the same as Toyota used which is an A340.
The sensors for the Delco I intended to use the GM stuff except for the TPS & maybe tap into the crank sensor system in some way. If I can't use the delco, these are available in the USA. http://www.sctflash.com/products.php?PID=75&VID=#4 for about $360.
http://www.sctflash.com/products.php?PID=45&VID= software to tune $350 one vin only.
The sensors for the Delco I intended to use the GM stuff except for the TPS & maybe tap into the crank sensor system in some way. If I can't use the delco, these are available in the USA. http://www.sctflash.com/products.php?PID=75&VID=#4 for about $360.
http://www.sctflash.com/products.php?PID=45&VID= software to tune $350 one vin only.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
-
ejukated
- Posts: 426
- Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am
Re: Delco Jeep
Whats the PCM? I think HP Tuners supports some of the PCMs
-
v6bucket
- Posts: 768
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 am
Re: Delco Jeep
Looking at the vehicle list, it only covers from 2004/2005 & later.ejukated wrote:Whats the PCM? I think HP Tuners supports some of the PCMs
How do I check that the tps is compatable with the delco?
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Delco Jeep
needs to be 0-5v range and it should be ok
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
v6bucket
- Posts: 768
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 am
Re: Delco Jeep
The TPS should be ok then.
The Jeep uses a Hall effect sensor on the flexplate & whats referred to as a cam sensor, which is in the distributor, another hall effect sensor. Can I tap into the sensor wire & connect into the VN/VP delco loom(crank sensor). If I can, which wire will connect with which sensor? Inside the dizzy
The flexplate has 12 pulses in a single rotation, 3 groups of 4.
The Jeep uses a Hall effect sensor on the flexplate & whats referred to as a cam sensor, which is in the distributor, another hall effect sensor. Can I tap into the sensor wire & connect into the VN/VP delco loom(crank sensor). If I can, which wire will connect with which sensor? Inside the dizzy
The flexplate has 12 pulses in a single rotation, 3 groups of 4.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Delco Jeep
Both triggers wont work on any Delco ignition module without modifying them. The flexplate would need to have all but 3 teeth/slots removed, then run a reluctor sensor and camira module.
My programmable module should be able to support the trigger patterns.
My programmable module should be able to support the trigger patterns.
-
v6bucket
- Posts: 768
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 am
Re: Delco Jeep
That's what I didn't want you to tell me. 
So what is the programmable ignition module cost?
So what is the programmable ignition module cost?
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---