Distance to empty calculation

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Distance to empty calculation

Post by Jayme »

yoda69 wrote: It was around VX where they changed the sender to work in the opposite direction and have high resistance when empty instead of high resistance when full.
it was VZ when they changed over.... ive got a VY and a VZ. VY is low resistance when empty... VZ is high resistance when empty.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Distance to empty calculation

Post by immortality »

I've tried the Mode/up buttons but I'm not seeing any numbers that seem to correspond to fuel tank sender resistance (30-250 ohms???), just actual fuel tank capacity in litres.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Distance to empty calculation

Post by immortality »

Haven't really looked at this, however as it happened last week I had the car and was supposed to fill it however on the way to get gas I realised the missus had my plastic as I had taken her to lunch that day and I have given her the card to pay.

Anyway, no cash, no gas. I knew it had plenty in the tank so kept driving. Trip comp came down to single digits and then reset back to about 15km to empty. It did this a few times. I picked up the missus and it was showing 11km to empty, shortly there after the petrol warning light flashed, the dash alarm sounded and the distance to empty dropped to zero. I then drove about another 10km before filling the tank :D

At the servo the bowser clicked off at 64 litres although I squeezed in another couple of litres. Distance to empty came up as 590 km (average consumption was showing 13L/100kms). I also reset the trip comp. Just drove the car, it's showing just over 1/2 a tank, trip comp is showing it's used ~30 litres and travelled 240 km, 12.5 litres/100 km average with 38 km/h average speed.

Now to wait and see what it says when it's empty and how much fuel is left in the tank.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Distance to empty calculation

Post by immortality »

Update.

Filled the car late last week, bowser clicked off @ 62 litres. Low fuel warning came on @ about 55 litres with the trip comp showing about 60km to empty.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Distance to empty calculation

Post by Holden202T »

sounds pretty close to me!
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Distance to empty calculation

Post by immortality »

Running it till it thought it was empty has changed something. Be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks.