Chip with no legs

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Chip with no legs

Post by vs ss »

Hi everyone, I have a hdd that I wanted to swap the bios chip onto a new board.
Soo I gave it to someone to do who reckon they knew what they where doing when it came to surface solder , but long story short I am now one new pcb short and I have a small 25x chip with no legs :rant:
My question is can someone here still get a read somehow of the old leg less chip ? It has the small metal contacts Broken of flush but to small for me.
Any help would be great. Cheers
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: Chip with no legs

Post by festy »

I've dumped chips with snapped off legs a couple of times, if there's not enough leg stump sticking out to get a solder blob to stick to, then very careful dremel work directly above the leg to remove the plastic casing might give you enough metal to solder to - but I've never tried that on anything as small as a SOP package. If you've got a DIP converter to solder the chip to, a big blob of solder on the pad might not make much of a mechanical bond to the leg but may make decent electrical contact.

If it's only one pin missing then you might get away with poking a (metal) needle on a flying lead into contact with the pin stump and holding it there while the chip is read out.

If all else fails, you could post it to me and I'll give it a shot.