First DVD player

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Dazza92VP
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon
Location: Perth

First DVD player

Post by Dazza92VP »

So finally got my tonner delivered to me today after spending several years in the middle of nowhere so I started digging through the inside of it to find some interesting stuff I dumped in it along time ago. But I found this in it
image.jpg
Pretty much the fist ever DVD player and along with it the Holden sales presentation videos for the commodore wb camira and jackaroo, repair briefs and Bathurst 1000 video
image.jpg
Only problem is some bright spark decided to plug in 240v into it and it's only 115v :oops: anyone know whether one of the old electronic repair shops would be able to fix it? I would like to watch some of them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: First DVD player

Post by Holden202T »

really depends what happened, if your lucky maybe just blown a fuse, if your really unlucky, fried a lot more ..... but you would think a tv repair type place should be a good place to start!

if you get it working you should port the stuff onto a dvd or something!
Dazza92VP
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon
Location: Perth

Re: First DVD player

Post by Dazza92VP »

Yea that's what I wanted to do once I've got it running there's all the vl Calais prehand over info and accessories info heaps of stuff in there I might even crack the unit apart my self see if I can see anything I doubt it but you never know
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: First DVD player

Post by Charlescrown »

Interesting that the discs are for aussie Holden but the player is USA? Are you sure it's not 240 volts? The discs look as big as the old 45's if not bigger in the picture.
Dazza92VP
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon
Location: Perth

Re: First DVD player

Post by Dazza92VP »

It's actually a Pioneer PR7820 laser disc player not a digital disc system. All Gm dealerships had them for playing their sales and training packages must of had some deal with pioneer and it translated over to gmh I think there is supposed to be a power pack with it but I couldn't find it. It was sitting in the corner of the workshop in a cupboard under 2ton of crap so it probably got thrown out. It's bigger than the 45s they were the only 7 inches this is 300mm or pretty much 12inch
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: First DVD player

Post by Jayme »

wow my mind wants to believe its just a CD.... all i see is a cd with a shrunken tape measure on top of it !
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: First DVD player

Post by vs ss »

And the joy of getting up half way through a movie to change sides.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: First DVD player

Post by Holden202T »

lol!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: First DVD player

Post by vlad01 »

Jayme wrote:wow my mind wants to believe its just a CD.... all i see is a cd with a shrunken tape measure on top of it !
This!

Ahh damn you brain!!!
monaro308
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:02 am
cars: HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Re: First DVD player

Post by monaro308 »

Jesus !! I remember laser discs very well,my cuz bought 1 just when they came out and were worth a packet.
He even bought one of the 3 globe RGB projectors and mounted it on the ceiling with a remote control white screen that came down sounding like them security shutters lol.
We had movie nights when THX and was it AC3 ? Digital Dolby TM (cant forget the trademark) were the rage.
We'd play the intro to THX over and over just to hear the VERY deep bass.
THEN.....music video laser discs were the happening thing.
Ahhh the memories,i think they are gathering dust at his mums place like his Beta video recorder.
All the "young" kids are into vinyl records and my nephew has been sprung going through my old singles and albums.