T56 shifter...yummy

For non EFI mechanical discussion
monaro308
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:02 am
cars: HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Re: T56 shifter...yummy

Post by monaro308 »

Hi HQ I'm down the mornington peninsula closer to Frankston way.
I usually do the Hastings to flinders,redhill,arthurs seat to mornington sort of loop with heaps of wineries and nice views to chill out and listen to the V8 through the hills.
If you're ever out my way just PM me and see if the planets align :thumbup:


I agree immortality,fully pressing the clutch pedal gives a better gear change.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: T56 shifter...yummy

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:I started having a lot of trouble with my 2-3 shift on my old T5. In the end I found it was a combination of the stock shifter but also getting lazy with the clutch. Sometimes I wasn't depressing the clutch fully which screwed the shifts. Now if I'm smashing gears I nail the clutch pedal and release it instantly, the trick is to get the shift timed properly and found it easier with a short shifter which reduced the throw by about 50% from the stock shifter. It does however require a bit more physical effort
Id put mine down to worn syncos. they dont work virtually at all when cold until the oil heats up. 3 and 4 is when my problems are. well I suppose its not bad for 576,000km worth of caning.

once warmed up its fine by they can only got so fast even with full clutch.

on my VR its the opposite. The heavy dedent spring and all stiffer aftermarket inner and out shift boots slows my shift down and my foot is too fast and sometimes I engage the clutch before the gear is fully in crunching the teeth at WOT. There is not enough time to correct myself in 200ms lol. I just have to remember to really aggressively rip the shifter into gear to compensate for the extra stiffness, always get used to the loose shifter in the VP.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: T56 shifter...yummy

Post by immortality »

Yep, driving a T5 can be a good workout for the LH side of the body :)

A short shifter is definitely more mechanical and effort but worth it. If the hand is slower than the foot you'll find yourself fishing for gears :)
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: T56 shifter...yummy

Post by vlad01 »

my VP's t5 is no work at all. its even easyer than a Getz. really! I driven a getz and vp slides in way easier. pinky power shift ftw!