newby needs help

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
efi newby
cars: FC holden

newby needs help

Post by efi newby »

hi guys, let me first bring you up to speed on what ive got.
presently ive converted a holden 186 to EFI using
202 12 port head,
VK intake manifold
VN throttle body
camira engine harness
camira ignition module
delco 808 ECU from VN/VP
electronic ignition ( has had vac advance removed and stator movement restricted )

now the problem is, car will start but after about 5 secs there is a small surge in revs then dies.
idle is rough, if revs are kept up the engine will continue to run but will not rev past about 2800. sounds like it ( spark or fuel ) is breaking down.
at first i thought the fuel pump was cutting out but it sounds like it is still running when engine dies.
i have tried shorting out the black to black/white to retrive codes this will keep engine running but wont allow motor to rev. no error codes appear but check light remains on
all sensors apart from IAC are new.
im starting to get a bit frustrated as EFI is still a black art to me ( old school carby boy racer :roll: )
i know there are many possibilities but if someone can share a bit of light or suggestions i would really appreciate it.

cheers
dean
Holden202T

Re: newby needs help

Post by Holden202T »

ok firstly what tune are you running on it ? also is it the memcal out of the vn computer ?

if your using a commodore tune you'll need to change the reference angle to 10 degrees..... also you need to set the dizzy at 10 degrees advanced (with the diagnostic pins jumpered (eg. how your getting the codes out of it)

a 202 should run ok on a stock tune provided the reference angle is set .... also it might have too much timing but by the sounds of it yours is not reving because the wrong reference angle is probably retarding it....

also if your running vk efi injectors the injector rate might be slightly different to the VN ......

question ... do you have any way to reprogram the computer ? (eg. eprom programmer etc)

also can you just some more details on this motor ... do you know the cam specs ?

also have a read through this if you haven't already, may be something in there useful for you: https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4
efi newby
cars: FC holden

Post by efi newby »

ok here goes.
the tune/eprom is standard VN i dont have anyway of reprogramming the ecu. originally i was told that there should not be any problems running this setup as the ecu should be ok running an inline 6 ?
as i am new to the whole EFI process i have been trying to learn as much as my feeble littel brain can absorb, which is not a great deal and i am working both to a tight budget and now a very close deadline.
engine specs are
cam specs stage 3
valve timing intake 31-69 exhaust 73-32
cam lift Intake-275/ exhaust-278
valve lift I-440/ ex445
adv dur I-280/ex285
050 dur I-212/ex 217

with the only other mod besides the 12 port head being 60thou over.

is there a tune or eprom someone can supply ( for a fee of course) which will get me running, car hasnt seen the road for 8 years but needs to be going by easter. how do i go about changing reference angles etc?

thanks for your help

dean
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

yip you need a chip im sure holden 202 has a good one :mrgreen: to get you running pretty well free is a big ask though LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i can probably help you with a tune that i had running ony my 202 ...

you cam is similar in specs to my camtech one so it should get you on the road roughly anyways ....

need to know what injectors you have though ....

pm me and we can work something out