Porsche turbo boost reference timing retard

User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Porsche turbo boost reference timing retard

Post by Jayme »

unless there is a hose running to it somewhere? or a TPS? does the timing change with throttle change if you lock the dyno at a particular RPM? if not then it musnt have load based spark control at all.....

and if there is no load based spark control... it will have TERRIBLE fuel economy.... add a decent spark system and it will literally be a different car.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Porsche turbo boost reference timing retard

Post by Dylan »

I reckon fit a 808 for spark control with a map sensor. One of VL400's guru modules with 12 LS2 coils.
Customer will love you!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Porsche turbo boost reference timing retard

Post by vlad01 »

antus wrote:Is there a maf sensor or map sensor connected to it? If not then it is just advancing with rpm like a weighted distributor with no vaccume advance would, with the only advantage being better dwell times and bigger spark than stock. Still far from optimal.
yeah I think you hit the nail on the head. This is very similar to the electronic dis-x style ignition in the aircooled market just a 6 cly version. it is dumb and only advances with rpm.


Biggvl,
Do you want to replace this whole system with delco awesomeness + VL400 ignition module? I would love to get involved if possible.
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Porsche turbo boost reference timing retard

Post by VL400 »

If you do want to go down that path with it let me know and can get things happening. Sounds like fun :D
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Porsche turbo boost reference timing retard

Post by Gareth »

If you do want to go down that path with it let me know and can get things happening. Sounds like fun :D
Yep, lets do it. PM me with payment detail please.

Hey Vlad, looks like some late nights and pizza to come :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Porsche turbo boost reference timing retard

Post by immortality »

I'll be watching this one with interest.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Porsche turbo boost reference timing retard

Post by vlad01 »

Biggvl wrote:
If you do want to go down that path with it let me know and can get things happening. Sounds like fun :D
Yep, lets do it. PM me with payment detail please.

Hey Vlad, looks like some late nights and pizza to come :thumbup:
hell yeah! :thumbup:
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Porsche turbo boost reference timing retard

Post by Jayme »

owner will think its a different car to drive, and economy will be loads better, with some vacuum advance!
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Porsche turbo boost reference timing retard

Post by Holden202T »

and the 2 step rev limit hahaha :)
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Porsche turbo boost reference timing retard

Post by vlad01 »

we will need to add some cylinder head temp sensors I think and monitor those with different AFRs and timing.

air cooled engine need to run a bit richer than water cooled ones. But the figures I dont know but I'll try to find out a ball park before we start.