Somebody went through this years ago and came to the conclusion that the stock ecotec manifold was actually fairly bloody good at producing the best torque curve over the widest rpm band. Personally, I find that hard to believe (the MACE bits prove that) however has anybody had a look at the US OEM factory banana type manifolds used on the ecotec and 3800 V6 engines?Biggvl wrote:The NRE manifold lacks dual runner lenghts... but is a wicked bit of kit![]()
Should we hone in on a purpose for a new manifold? Street engine, full blown race engine or economy motor? The NRE manifold would suit high reving engines more than low down torque (which is what most of us need/want for the street) An inlet manifold for the track would be easy, short, large runners.
An inlet manifold that produces the broadest torque range is what design I believe we should focus on... What does everyone think?
I'm led to believe that the older 3800 V6 US banana manifold was a decent bit of kit but the later ecotec one wasn't because it lacked runner length compared to the earlier model. OVer the years a number of our ecotec manifold have been sent to the US and the owners have said our manifolds work better than theirs.
The biggest issue I see is that most people who are making manifolds use the OEM ecotec LIM which means the runner lengths and diameter are already pre-set.