well that doesn't concern me then, with the on/off nature of these engines tuned up, cruising it pretty hard workyoda69 wrote:Can be a lot of strange things from the OEM's, but there is normally a reason.
The only one I can imagine for this is that maybe at cruise or mid load there was some uneven cylinder filling and this helped to balance it out a bit and was a reasonable compromise across the entire rev and load range.
WOT runs are only one a small snapshot of a vehicles running conditions, OEM's spend a lot of time working on driveability, especially in the areas a "typical" driver is expected to spend a lot of their time.
Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
-
festy
- Posts: 1039
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
- cars: Alfa Romeos
- Location: Narellan, NSW
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
Could be trying to stop the venturi effect where fuel gets sucked out of the front runners when the rear cylinders breathe in?Biggvl wrote: So why was it put there to begin with???
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
The bellmouth was to smooth out air distribution, the rear cylinders in particular.
My old VN cruised real well, been gentle with the throttle helps though. I miss that car, was great to drive with the 5 speed, more fun than a V8 with a slush box.
My old VN cruised real well, been gentle with the throttle helps though. I miss that car, was great to drive with the 5 speed, more fun than a V8 with a slush box.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
The VN group a had a similar fitting in there secondary throttle body.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
I agree.immortality wrote:The bellmouth was to smooth out air distribution, the rear cylinders in particular.
My old VN cruised real well, been gentle with the throttle helps though. I miss that car, was great to drive with the 5 speed, more fun than a V8 with a slush box.
driven a couple of 5L autos and was like "something wrong with this, why is it so slow?"
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
U'l give you a drive of the Q next time Vlad !
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
talking about stock engines 
-
Gareth
- Posts: 2678
- Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
- Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
Frankenfold...



Right.. So the two top halves are actually bolted to the one base via two holes per side (finger tight), next step for me is to cut the runners off the manifold base above the injector bosses and then cut the upper mounting boss off the top of the runners (ill need to cut up two to get enough for this) Then I should have enough parts to weld together.
Some of the considerations for this project are -
Too much plenum volume (easy to add walls to plenums)
Runner lenghts (short runner Vs long runner and how they will work together)
Bonnet clearance
Alternator clearance
What to do about the MAF
And many more things I haven't yet though of, if anyone can see any problems with this, please don't hold back.



Right.. So the two top halves are actually bolted to the one base via two holes per side (finger tight), next step for me is to cut the runners off the manifold base above the injector bosses and then cut the upper mounting boss off the top of the runners (ill need to cut up two to get enough for this) Then I should have enough parts to weld together.
Some of the considerations for this project are -
Too much plenum volume (easy to add walls to plenums)
Runner lenghts (short runner Vs long runner and how they will work together)
Bonnet clearance
Alternator clearance
What to do about the MAF
And many more things I haven't yet though of, if anyone can see any problems with this, please don't hold back.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
I looked at the alternator today, I think its a no go, maybe posible to keep the alternator with smaller fabricated plenums of relocation of the alternator.
MAF? 808 conversion
MAF? 808 conversion
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
Remount the alternator where the AC pump used to be?