Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
or where the PS used to be for pre ecotec, that space is still free on ecotec.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
the answer to the MAF = convert it to $11P and use a MAP 
as for the bellmouth I heard that it was there to help all the cylinders get even air flow! ... the other thing you are not comparing here is that the motors with it had more power than the earlier motor, but while the bellmouth might restrict all out HP .... I dare say the stock motors were not tuned to the point of making that much power anyways so its kinda masked by other things.
as for the bellmouth I heard that it was there to help all the cylinders get even air flow! ... the other thing you are not comparing here is that the motors with it had more power than the earlier motor, but while the bellmouth might restrict all out HP .... I dare say the stock motors were not tuned to the point of making that much power anyways so its kinda masked by other things.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
agreed! I think stock for stock it would be negligible amount as the tune, exhaust and air intake wont utilize the extra airflow from removing it.Holden202T wrote:the answer to the MAF = convert it to $11P and use a MAP
as for the bellmouth I heard that it was there to help all the cylinders get even air flow! ... the other thing you are not comparing here is that the motors with it had more power than the earlier motor, but while the bellmouth might restrict all out HP .... I dare say the stock motors were not tuned to the point of making that much power anyways so its kinda masked by other things.
my surprise was how much the torque improved. i dare say there would be an improvement in a bog stock engine for low end torque but peak hp probably not so much.
Definitely will remove it on my VR though as my power figures aren't that far behind the gemini. Would be 146hp vs 165hp with both having them installed, so i hopefully might get into the low to mid 150s
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
yeah and you've also got figures before and I assume you will get figures after 
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
yep I sure do! I'm hoping I can get an even fatter torque curve
-
TdracerTd
- Posts: 488
- Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:39 pm
- cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
I read in a magazine I think that the bellmouth was put in place as the vn s1 motors were "criticized" for their ability to turn the wheels of the line. They also changed the camshaft grind between the s1 motors and the the later ones for this reason. Also without the bellmouth it said you will loose some idle quality. I never noticed it.
-
Gareth
- Posts: 2678
- Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
- Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
What? You can go mafless with $11p now? If thats the case please point me in the directions of the instructions how to do sothe answer to the MAF = convert it to $11P and use a MAP![]()
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
There is a repin guide in the 11P zip to swap from a VS V6 PCM .. http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3798
You are changing to a '424 VR auto V6/V8 or VS auto V8 PCM. For your VH its a pretty simple job, but for the VT just note you lose some dash functions and VATS.
You are changing to a '424 VR auto V6/V8 or VS auto V8 PCM. For your VH its a pretty simple job, but for the VT just note you lose some dash functions and VATS.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
you are running getrag in the VH, just go 808 and 12P with festy's VSS convertor.Biggvl wrote:What? You can go mafless with $11p now? If thats the case please point me in the directions of the instructions how to do sothe answer to the MAF = convert it to $11P and use a MAP![]()
can wait to get rid of it from the vh and the vt.
and 11P for the VT as its auto.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Fins on back of Valve & Fins pre TB
I can tell you that my VR with bellmouth absolutely blows vn S1 away lol.TdracerTd wrote:I read in a magazine I think that the bellmouth was put in place as the vn s1 motors were "criticized" for their ability to turn the wheels of the line. They also changed the camshaft grind between the s1 motors and the the later ones for this reason. Also without the bellmouth it said you will loose some idle quality. I never noticed it.
even my crappy worn out VP is a tad faster than s1 VNs, but its tuned aggressively.
when I had driven few vn s1 manuals i was very disappointed, as you could imagine. Everyone talked them up so much lol
I know that the S2 does have less lob separation and more aggressive ramp rate, so my understanding is it will have more lift area on the profile compared to an s1 cam if it were the same duration and lift for comparison.