vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Re: Commodore lsd cone damage

Post by vs ss »

Yes I could of used the vt flanged but I had a brand new in box 3.46,but I wanted to try doin this with the tailshaft cause I'm yet to drive a vn-vs that doesn't have a slight shudder when taking off.
Holden even tried to change things at one stage and that's why you will see on rare occasions some vs with cv type joints on the diff.
Anyway that's just my experience.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Yeah, Holden stuffed around with the drive shaft phasing as well from VN to VS.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah my VP had that shudder when it was an auto all those years ago.

when I converted it to manual I rebuild the shaft myself and never got it balanced or anything and its pretty damn good, no shudder.

all the other manual cars VN-VR I have had also shudder free, only the autos did it. Not sure why?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

My HQ has a commodore 2 peice tail shaft, it's manual and has no shudder. My old VR auto 5.0 use to shudder may be it's tailshaft angles or somthing similar, I spent a bit if time getting it all matching when I converted my HQ over and it's smooth as
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Interesting, I've got a shortened one in my Torana too - spent a while trying to figure out which uni phasing I would use but in the end I just lined them up and its been great
immortality

Post by immortality »

Traditionally, for a 2 piece shaft the uni's should be 90° out of phase.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Are you sure about that? 90 degrees out of phase would cause a massive vibration that would snap the shaft due to unequal velocity fluctuations. I know that VN VP had the shaft out of phase by a few degrees why I don't know but the VT I know for sure is in phase within a degree. I know this because I taught this module for a number of years and the cars we had were VN VP and VT VY series.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I should clarify. A 2 piece drive shaft that has a C.V joint in the centre, which as I understand it you treat as a single piece drive shaft.

Fairly sure the 2 uni's are 90° out from each other so they cancel each other out because as you mentioned the velocity changes with the angle over the uni joint.

Fairly sure my old VH drive shaft was fairly much in line but my VN was a few degrees off as was the VS drive shaft. From VX they changed the drive shaft to the rubber doughnut type which only has a single uni joint in the middle.

I've got a spare VN shaft in the garage. I'll take a pic tomorrow.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

all the 2 piece tail shafts I've got with cv joint in them are about 45 degrees out from each other even the one I sent out for balancing and rephasing
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

VN-VP were 37-38º and VR onward are 90º.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.