Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Im trying to source some VR rockers as they have bearings on the pedestals so you can rebuild them hopefully. VN/VP ones just wear the arms :thumbdown:
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by delcowizzid »

my plan is vn s1 guideplates and cheapo roller rockers off ebay probably the 1.97 ford rockers
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

out comes the cam! :D

Image

hmmm :think: I think this is stuffed.

last 2 lobes only, the rest are perfect. Also only one of the rollers running on them was damaged, other was fine some how.

Seen this happen quite a few times before. I think the stock cam material is shite, cast steel while the rollers are some sort of harden quality metal.

Image

Image

time to look at the bottom end.

Image

not too bad, probably will be a regrind as it does have some light but noticeable scores on the journals. But thats what rebuilding engines it all about.

Image

one of the journals.

Image

bearings are worn but not ridiculous like many ford engines I have pulled apart.

Image

So yeah, not a lot to do here until work pays me the huge amount they still own me, then I can splash out on PB race balancer and billet flywheel and a good clutch, then take this lot to Duggan's for machine work and balancing.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by delcowizzid »

cam and lifter damage is probably weak valvesprings causes quite bad hammering on the cam surface and once it picks up some material on the roller it gets messy. bearings look good in these things when compared to 304's of the same age LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

haha yeah the 304 are a joke. 200k + and they are cactass!

funny you mention the weak springs. I have found on the polished part of the valve stem ( where the stem seal polished off the varnish) was about 3 mm past max lift, so that tells me the valves bounced on this engine lol.

all the valves I could push down by hand with some effort and few of them no real effort. They were weak for sure.

had a good look at the crank, seems there are few marks from factory where it been dinged while handling/installing? only minor ones but thinking I might crack open the other engine that I put in the for sale section and see if I can cherry pick the best from the 2. It supposedly had under 200k where this one is 400 k.

Im getting sick of looking at the other engine anyway, no one want to buy it so might as well.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

thinking those springs again, can't wait to see how bad the VP current engine's cam is lol. it hammers the liters just off idle lol. Though oil test showed no wear metal as such. :study:
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by delcowizzid »

its ok untill the roller starts to catch and slide instead of rolling they tend to loose contact at the end of valve lift and impact just after the closing ramp starts at high revs.we run reground stock cams that have a fair amount of meat takin off to get duration into the [email protected] area and havnt had any hardness issues yet
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

the guy at Duggan's took my cam specs and said it doesn't need much over stock ( new stock that is), just crow cam springs he said would be ample. I hope so lol.

my cam is only 215 duration, ramp rate is just over 3 on intake and 2.66 on exhaust, lift is going to be no more than 0.460. Didn't see any improvements above 0.440 really in the program.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by delcowizzid »

we are right at the limit of the retainers .495 but you never really get that lift due to pushrod deflection and flex and give in the valvetrain. the little n/a corolla i help tune has 220 duration on 107 or 108 lsa and 130Lb springs its not something youde want the cops to pull up behind over there sounds like a rotary idling with the full 3" system on LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Holden202T »

vlad01 wrote:funny you mention the weak springs. I have found on the polished part of the valve stem ( where the stem seal polished off the varnish) was about 3 mm past max lift, so that tells me the valves bounced on this engine lol.
you sure that's not just the lifters pumping up when running to make that difference up ?

motor looks alright really for the kms its done, other than the cam :P