Help getting started

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
IMA355
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 11:10 pm
cars: VR SS 5.0l T56 manual

Help getting started

Post by IMA355 »

Hi Guys

So I am brand new to delco tuning, just wanted some information on how to get setup for it. Ive done a lot of reading on this site and am still a little confused.
I have a VR SS 5l which was auto but recently changed to a T56. I installed a custom chip from joe at ACE performance tuning and was happy with the tune until I changed from auto to manual and now the car is doing funny things like overfuelling and flooding on startup hesitation on gear changes etc but not all the time.

Anyway as far as I Understand I need an NVRAM board and and ADLD usb cable to tune ?

I want to copy the tune from the ACE performance chip? is this possible and then load it onto a new NVRAM chip?

There are a few things I need to setup like disable all the flags/functions for the auto, setup the torque converter lockup to control the reverse lockout solenoid, and setup the controls for the thermo fans and correct the speedo as the T56 has a 17 tooth reluctor compared with the 4l60e which has a 40 tooth.

anyway any help getting started would be appreciated and who I should PM to get a hold of the NVRAM and the ALDL cable

Cheers guys.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Help getting started

Post by Dylan »

You don't have to run an NVRAM set up you can re burn the eprom every time you make a change.
NVRAM can be written to by your laptop in real time instead of re burning.
But the NVRAM is the easiest way and well recomended. You will need to solder a wire to the underside of your PCM to ba able to write to the NVRAM.

Get a USB interface off Antus it connects to your diagnostic port under the steering wheel.
You can log the engine with this in tuner pro snd write an updated tune to the NVRAM with this as well.
Also you can get a copy of your current tune with this interface using a free program on here called Flash Tool.
It eill read your memcal and you can save it and view it with Tuner Pro on your laptop.

Also get yourself a wide band o2 sensor then you can get the tune spot on.
With the VR auto PCM your best bet is to run the $11P code. You coukd copy your current settings over the the 11P code once you get a read of it with flash tool.
IMA355
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 11:10 pm
cars: VR SS 5.0l T56 manual

Re: Help getting started

Post by IMA355 »

Cool thanx Dylan
Out of interest what's the difference between $11p and $12p?
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Help getting started

Post by Dylan »

11P is for the VR auto PCM. 12P is for the VN or VR (Manual ECU)
12P has no auto trans control.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Help getting started

Post by Dylan »

Any engine mods?
IMA355
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 11:10 pm
cars: VR SS 5.0l T56 manual

Re: Help getting started

Post by IMA355 »

The engine is basically stock have put au thermo fans on it pacemaker ph5002 headers twin 2/12 cats into single 3 inch
Basically it at this stage but I've just done a t56 manual conversion and need to setup the thermo fans and correct the speed aswell which I will need to do again once I get around to changing the diff gears. :)
Mostly just done the suspension/paint/bodykit/stereo. Engine is next hopefully bolt a whipple onto it soon.
So even tho the car is now manual I should still use the 11p ? And just turn off all the flags for the auto?
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Help getting started

Post by Dylan »

yep that's the go. If you can get a read of the memcal I can help you out
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Help getting started

Post by Dylan »

I can even read it for you if you can spare a few days without it.
IMA355
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 11:10 pm
cars: VR SS 5.0l T56 manual

Re: Help getting started

Post by IMA355 »

cool man thanx heaps
total newby to realtime tuning lol
last time I mucked around with it was when I did it at TAFE lol
just waiting on antus to get back to me so I can get the aldl cable and NVRAM gear off him :)
love mucking around with this stuff.
can you program keys or anything with this stuff ?
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Help getting started

Post by Dylan »

Nah no keys with this software.
Have a look at www.14point7.com get yourself a Spartan2 with sensor.
That with Antus's NVRAM and USB interface will be the best set up.