CF Bedford Van

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by VL400 »

The brake lines have turned out really well!

Spotted the secret kit kat stash :shh:
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

lol I didn't realise what you meant at first! unfortunately that one and the m&m's containers are no longer lolly jars, they are for nuts and bolts!
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

So the Bedford now has working front brakes!! :thumbup:
P1120666.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Charlescrown »

Where did you get the brake hoses made?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

local place called Carters Brake & Clutch, they have everything for custom making stuff and reasonable prices.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Charlescrown »

It's gonna be sad when all these lovely parts you are adapting start disappearing. I think of some of the work I have done 20 odd years ago and back then the parts were being junked and you almost got them for nothing now their either impossible to find or worth a fortune to buy. The later the car gets the less practical it looks to adapt and swap but I hope I am wrong and that's not the case.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by vlad01 »

Charlescrown wrote:It's gonna be sad when all these lovely parts you are adapting start disappearing. I think of some of the work I have done 20 odd years ago and back then the parts were being junked and you almost got them for nothing now their either impossible to find or worth a fortune to buy. The later the car gets the less practical it looks to adapt and swap but I hope I am wrong and that's not the case.
you are right I think.

I got a pretty nice R31 rear disk conversion for my VW but I haven't used it as I dont want to install stuff that isn't supported anymore. There is almost no spares for the R31 rear calipers and very poor condition calipers are worth a fortune, I bought 2 sets and both were junk and prices were 150-200 for 2nd hand set. I wont be making that mistake again lol

So I im thinking of using more obtainable Porsche 944 brakes as they are almost bolt on and superior in design and reliability and will always be supported globally.

This is why I buy new and NOS parts in bulk where I can to support myself way into the future.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Charlescrown »

Just what I feared. I have R31 rear calipers on my Lancer with the diff shortened (by me) so it looks like I need to watch out for some spares. Sad Sad.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by vlad01 »

Charlescrown wrote:Just what I feared. I have R31 rear calipers on my Lancer with the diff shortened (by me) so it looks like I need to watch out for some spares. Sad Sad.
pain in the ass! When I bought dud calipers , 2 times in a row and gave up, that was 3 years ago. Imagine now.

When PBR was bought out by Bosch in 2012 I think then all new spare manufacturing stopped while the takeover was underway. I am pretty certain that Bosch wouldn't have re-initiated manufacturing of many old model spares.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

that's why I am trying to use standardish stuff .... eg. VT-VZ brakes, means there will be a lot of cars in wreckers for many years to come for a lot of the parts and also hoping that places will still be selling rebuild kits and the like for a lot of it.

which that actually brings me to a thought about tyres, I just recently got new tyres on the daily (Bridgestone Potenza RE003 - 225/50/17) and was looking at the same tyres for the Bedford, turns out there are very few options at least in a Bridgestone for a 15 inch rim these days! I remember when this was the case with 13 inch old holden wheels and that's when I converted the Torana to commodore stud pattern!

who knows might be installing a battery bank and electric motor into the Bedford in 20 years time to repower it lol!