Vlad's rides thread
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: Vlad's rides thread
some articles say some modern engines are offset up to 20 % .... that is talking a few more than a few thou. but I heard it was bored and sleeved at an angle then the head and deck cut to match.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
anywho. Got my support bracket stripped the good old molasses and water trick.
1st I used paint stripper to get the 5mm+ thick grease off and then it went into a bucket od 1:10 molasses and water mix to strip the rust off.
wasn't going so well as its so damn cold in my area all the time, well most of the year (8-9 months of the year)
So I set it up in the shed with an aquarium heater to get the mixture to 30 odd C and it worked a treat. heavy beach side induced rust gone in 3 days.
just a straight rinse in water, still seaming in the pic lol
then a wash in phosphoric acid to phosphate it and remove any small bits of rust left over.
dried it with the heater and left it to heat for good 30 min to expel excess hydrogen gas. Thing stinks of it when drying and for some time.
Mainly to stop any issue of the paint possibly bubbling up when drying from the gas.
Then off to painting, 1st epoxy super etch, few coats, heater and then to the gloss epoxy paint, masked where the contact faces are for the bolts and bellhousing. normal epoxy is rubbery and squishes out over time causing bolts to come loose. The etch primer is ultra thin and is hard, no probs leaving that on where bolts go.
other side.
1st I used paint stripper to get the 5mm+ thick grease off and then it went into a bucket od 1:10 molasses and water mix to strip the rust off.
wasn't going so well as its so damn cold in my area all the time, well most of the year (8-9 months of the year)
So I set it up in the shed with an aquarium heater to get the mixture to 30 odd C and it worked a treat. heavy beach side induced rust gone in 3 days.
just a straight rinse in water, still seaming in the pic lol
then a wash in phosphoric acid to phosphate it and remove any small bits of rust left over.
dried it with the heater and left it to heat for good 30 min to expel excess hydrogen gas. Thing stinks of it when drying and for some time.
Mainly to stop any issue of the paint possibly bubbling up when drying from the gas.
Then off to painting, 1st epoxy super etch, few coats, heater and then to the gloss epoxy paint, masked where the contact faces are for the bolts and bellhousing. normal epoxy is rubbery and squishes out over time causing bolts to come loose. The etch primer is ultra thin and is hard, no probs leaving that on where bolts go.
other side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
such a boring cold weekend, I decided to do some soldering.
Made up a cruise control safety cutout for the VP.
Made up a cruise control safety cutout for the VP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
I'm going to be running GM LS7 lifters in my engine and I found bit of useful info. So my preload will need to be 2.09mm
annnd i can buy them here.
http://zzperformance.com/3800/camshafts ... fters.html
annnd i can buy them here.
http://zzperformance.com/3800/camshafts ... fters.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Vlad's rides thread
they look a lot like standard V6 ones, so whats the reason for using them, they better or something ?
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
yeah they are direct replacement for the v6 lifter.Holden202T wrote:they look a lot like standard V6 ones, so whats the reason for using them, they better or something ?
far better specs and tolerances than the old lifters and withstand much more rpm with better oil control too.
And a cost effective solution to boot.
stock v6 lifters aren't much good over 5600rpm apparently.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Vlad's rides thread
Delco would have a different opinion.
I would suggest that the lifters aren't the issue, rather the valve springs......
I would suggest that the lifters aren't the issue, rather the valve springs......
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
immortality wrote:Delco would have a different opinion.
I would suggest that the lifters aren't the issue, rather the valve springs......
yeah spring aside, the stock lifters are said to have oil control problems at high oil pressures at rpm, they bleed oil much faster than the newer revised lifters.
its to do with the internal tolerances and metering valve.
you just look at stock lifters and how rough they are machined. Shocking really. I've always had some issue with stock lifters, plungers jamming and what not, not holding oil pressure and bleeding down during operation etc...
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Vlad's rides thread
No doubt that the newer lifters would be better but I think hydro lifter have a bad rep of having pump up issues when it's more likely a valve train control issue.
The old school thinking was always run only just enough spring pressure on a hydro lifter, now the thinking is to increase the spring load as it maintains valve train control to a higher rpm without lifter pump up.
Probably also another good reason to not run light weight oils in a V6.....
The old school thinking was always run only just enough spring pressure on a hydro lifter, now the thinking is to increase the spring load as it maintains valve train control to a higher rpm without lifter pump up.
Probably also another good reason to not run light weight oils in a V6.....
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Vlad's rides thread
can you actually get any of them in an anti pump up ?
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread