yeah same problem I have with my cars, not much in the way of 15" tyres.
Once place even said, 15" thats an odd size, it more commercial vehicle size we dont have anything to suit passenger vehicles.
I was like what are you on about? 15" are everywhere! this was 3 years ago lol.
with the 17" on the VR that was a different story, lots to choose there but 17" still looks out of place on the VR, even though I have had it this long already. Its too big for the car but nothing else to choose from now so they will stay.
Any wheels over 16" looks too big to me. The ratio between rim and rubber just looks yuk when over that size. There is even 20" rims now, and elastic band tyres would bust going down our road, Im dead serious about that.
CF Bedford Van
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: CF Bedford Van
About putting in batteries and electric motors have you seen the performance of the Tesla that's not a bad idea. 0 to 100 in 3 seconds? sounds unbelievable for a road car. If I was in the market for a $120,000 car I certainly would give it some real serious thought. They are putting free (yes free) charging stations around Australia as well.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: CF Bedford Van
yeah hello, every commodore from VP ? to VZ had 15 inch rims on stockers lol! and that's just holden!
I kinda agree about the larger wheels on older cars but I think it also depends on the amount the car is lowered too as to how much better it can look
yeah electric power is improving a lot but theres still a long way to go for it before im going to swap!
I kinda agree about the larger wheels on older cars but I think it also depends on the amount the car is lowered too as to how much better it can look
yeah electric power is improving a lot but theres still a long way to go for it before im going to swap!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
yoda69
- Posts: 1226
- Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
- cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual - Location: Geelong, VIC
Re: CF Bedford Van
I've always had no problems getting standard 205/65/15 tyres, typically they are cheapest in this size by a long way. Once you want 215 or 225 in 15" tyres the choices become more limited and way more expensive.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: CF Bedford Van
yeah that's right and especially in the ultra high performance ones I wanted :S
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: CF Bedford Van
yeah semi slick in those sizes are hard to get. My Vw will eventually run a min of 205 and a max of 215 is possible but unlikely. The physical size of the guards limit it to those sizes.
They might be special order sizes when I finally get around to finishing the car lol
They might be special order sizes when I finally get around to finishing the car lol
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: CF Bedford Van
We'l just mini tub it so you can get bigger rubber !
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: CF Bedford Van
you mean like a wheel arch thing?
if thats what you mean, no way! type 3s look absolutely shithouse with them. I wouldn't ruin the body of a one only in existence car on the other hand either.
That sort of stuff is fine on a beetle as they look better with wider guards and fat tyres and no one cares if you ruin a beetle, they are shit anyway lol.
I think 205 is plenty give then came out with 145 ?
besides I can choose wheels to the specs that will fit and look nice.
these have been on the market only for about a year and look ace!
http://www.52outlaw.com/wheel/
6" x 15" ET36 is perfect for my car. They are billet wheels too, inspired by the original Porsche fuch wheels. Same but better looking and stronger too, more choices of finishes and sizes to boot.
Expensive though. Sorry for the hijack
if thats what you mean, no way! type 3s look absolutely shithouse with them. I wouldn't ruin the body of a one only in existence car on the other hand either.
That sort of stuff is fine on a beetle as they look better with wider guards and fat tyres and no one cares if you ruin a beetle, they are shit anyway lol.
I think 205 is plenty give then came out with 145 ?
besides I can choose wheels to the specs that will fit and look nice.
these have been on the market only for about a year and look ace!
http://www.52outlaw.com/wheel/
6" x 15" ET36 is perfect for my car. They are billet wheels too, inspired by the original Porsche fuch wheels. Same but better looking and stronger too, more choices of finishes and sizes to boot.
Expensive though. Sorry for the hijack
Last edited by vlad01 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: CF Bedford Van
No i mean extend the inner wheel housing towards the center of the car so you can squeeze bigger rubber in, stays stock looking on the outside with no mods there it's only internal where you don't see
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: CF Bedford Van
HQ355 wrote:No i mean extend the inner wheel housing towards the center of the car so you can squeeze bigger rubber in, stays stock looking on the outside with no mods there it's only internal where you don't see
not possible on type 3 as they run a cross torsion beam front end with splined torsion bars. its would cost 10's of 1000 to engineers all the bits to work.
orrrr you can retrofit a narrowed beetle beam but you will be talking the car back to the stone ages with handling.
To narrow the rear, also impossible unless a complete custom one off rear sub frame, and body mods, drivtrain mods etc... We are talking custom hotrod style engineering and fab work to gain 10mm of so worth of rubber. Not worth it at all.
The good handling suspension in these cars are compromised as soon as you mods stuff on them, you cant make them better, only very small tweaks here and there. You lower the car, front end geometry fucks up and handles like shit is a good example, you can only lower 1" without too much loss of caster. They were setup optimal from factory so no room for improvements unfortunately other than better shocks and swaybars, wider tyres. The arms even use needle roller bearings