CF Bedford Van

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by HQ355 »

Well there's no fun in that then, il put the welder away until we need it for the turbo ecotec to go in it lol
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by vlad01 »

They are a bastard of a car to mod coz the mods dont work often. Those crazy Germans designed in such a way that you nearly always compromise something for something else you mod.

S bugs on the other hand had mc pherson struts and you can do heaps with them, even rack and pinion in some models.

Im lucky to be able to do have holden/ford brakes made for them on the front. Uses AU rotors and VP-VS finned calipers, CNC machined stock spindle and CNC billet bracket. Only one guy in Oz did such a conversion for them type 3s.

I had some drop spindles CNC milled from billet in Belgium. Drop of 46mm, thats all that was possible and then came the compromise. Only could take NOS ball joints and standard brakes. My brake conversion could not be done on the spindle when I handed to the engineer, there was no way to make them fit without totally stuffing up the steering geometry.

I spent like 2 years and heaps of money trying to make it work with so many different calipers but gave up lol. So I have to run close to stock height and thats it.

unlike holdens you can improve on everything and its easy and cost effective.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

anyways, getting back on topic :P

just bought a Spartan 2 to try out on this beast! plan is to permanently install it into the wiring loom.

interested to see how the basic tune is once I have it as from my previous experience with this motor its either lean as at idle or there is another issue but that assumes the heated o2 sensor is reading accurate!

anyways hopefully it wont take too long to arrive!

I've also started working on fitting the level 3 dash cluster and part of that means re-programming the odometer to read what I want!
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by HQ355 »

Sounds good, I've got my spartan in permanent as well, saves stuffing around and I don't use the car daily so it will (should) still last a while. How do you program the dash and what can you change on it ?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

theres a thread here http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1441 on how to do it all... I want the change the odometer and that's about all you really can/need to change on the VS Level 3 dash. also modding some resistors on the tacho to make it into a V8 reading (was from a V6)

from what I've read of the LSU 4.9 sensors they are designed to be good for approx. 100,000kms! and the bedfords going to be the same, just the occasional weekend run and when racing etc so should last forever in it i'm hoping!
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by HQ355 »

Thanks for the link, that's what I figured with the wideband, even if I had to replace it after 5 or so years it's still not very expensive and the fuel and possible engine damage it saves is priceless !
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

finally got the van to a point where I can move it so got it out of the shed and had a big clean up, figured I'd need the obligatory video so people believe me heheeh!

I wanted to see if there was any stall in the converter without rear brakes, seems I can easily get about 1500rpm before the wheels turn .... I got a little bit carried away!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7m5qeid5SA[/youtube]
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by HQ355 »

Nice, will u be hooking up rear brakes or leaving it in fun mode lol
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by immortality »

It's..... ALIVE........ (in my best Dracula mad doctor type voice) :)
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

hahahaha I thought the same thing immortality :)

as for the rear brakes, they aren't connected cause its still the Bedford diff, once I get the commodore diff sorted i'll be connecting the rears!