265 Hemi to efi
-
heff0018
- Posts: 1061
- Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
- cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
I spoke with the fabricator and he advised that I would experience problems if a steel plate was welded to the cast iron manifold. Basically the welds would crack and keep cracking. He reckoned he would need to fabricate a new bottom section out of mandrel bends.
-
slewinson
- Posts: 224
- Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:08 am
- cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
His approach will also flow better.heff0018 wrote:I spoke with the fabricator and he advised that I would experience problems if a steel plate was welded to the cast iron manifold. Basically the welds would crack and keep cracking. He reckoned he would need to fabricate a new bottom section out of mandrel bends.
Simon
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
I am surprised it cannot be welded. Being the inlet manifold it is not subject to the extreme hear from the exhaust. I have used a mig with steel wire to weld exhaust manifolds and they don't crack. I know it's not best practice and I understand the consequences but it works.
-
heff0018
- Posts: 1061
- Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
- cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
Thanks, it can be welded I guess he is just covering his arse. Maybe I might give it a shot with my mig. I have a couple of manifolds lying around so no real loss if I stuff up. Another option could be using an aluminium version of the original manifold, I didn't ask him about welding cast aluminium to aluminium plate.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
cast alloy should be a hell of a lot easier.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
yeah if you have an alloy one he'll be happier with that I reckon 
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
v6bucket
- Posts: 768
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 am
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
There's no problems welding an alloy plate onto an alloy manifold.
A steel plate can be brazed onto a cast iron manifold, but don't weld with a MIG, it will eventually crack at the edge of the weld, due to different expansion rates & the cast will be crystallized at the weld edges.
A steel plate can be brazed onto a cast iron manifold, but don't weld with a MIG, it will eventually crack at the edge of the weld, due to different expansion rates & the cast will be crystallized at the weld edges.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
-
heff0018
- Posts: 1061
- Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
- cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
Thanks for the replies guys, that's good to know. Now I have a much cheaper option
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
You ( fab man ) can weld cast alloy to alloy much easier, your original way can be done but it's not really ideal and not the best flowing, joining, etc etc way of doing it. Also if you go alloy you'll get a lighter set up which with the extra weight if the turbo and stuff will help equalize it out a bit.
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
I was told years ago by a welder there is two types of cast iron grey and white and I think (might be wrong) the white cannot be welded.
I have attached a pic of my Pajero manifold I welded 15 years ago. It looks like it is just starting to crack in the weld though not the side where it joins the cast iron.
I have attached a pic of my Pajero manifold I welded 15 years ago. It looks like it is just starting to crack in the weld though not the side where it joins the cast iron.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.