festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by festy »

Soooo, take a couple of deep breaths, cut it off and start again.
Second attempt looks much better:
fitted.jpg
My oil feed line fitting is probably a bit too restrictive for an old journal bearing T3, so I'll have to bore it out a bit:
restrictor.jpg
And I think I need a 90* fitting for the oil feed hose, teflon hose doesn't like being bent...
oilfeedheight.jpg
My recently relocated oil filter will need re-re-locating, and I bet my hoses will be *just* too short for wherever I move it to :evil:
relocate.jpg
Still so much to do to finish this, but slowly getting there...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by Holden202T »

nice work man ... and yeah leave that warning label off, or turn it over :P

I know how you feel about having to move everything or modify it, seems very familiar to when I put my turbo on the Gemini!

that oil feed looks like a roller bearing turbo one with that restriction..... from what I've read the journal bearing turbo ones have a step down inside the housing and that's the size that restricts it to what it needs.
vlt304
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 am
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by vlt304 »

I would drill the hole out to 1.5-2 mm they don't need much oil and too much will kill a turbo real quick. most bb turbos have 0.8 - 1mm oil restrictors and bush bearing turbos 1.5 - 3mm depending on engine oil pressure.
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by festy »

Yep according to Garrett (https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyg ... restrictor) it shouldn't need any restrictor at all.
The 1/8" NPT fitting it's feeding from has a 3mm ID, so no point drilling this out any larger than that.

Little bit more progress - I cut out a hole for the manifold outlet, would have been a lot easier without the flange attached but oh well.
First I roughed it out with the plasma, then over to the mill to tidy up
open_port.jpg
While I was there, I noticed that by complete fluke I'd come very close to a 90* angle between the two flanges - if I'd realized that earlier I would have made it exactly 90 because facing the flanges would be a million times easier.
Actually, it's probably not too late to make a slight adjustment.
so_close.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by Holden202T »

geez, you could nearly mill the two faces on a slight angle to get that difference removed!! :) looks like its only 1-2mm max!
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by festy »

Yeah, sooo close...
If I machine the faces to 90* it will mean the studs and holes will be slightly off perpendicular, probably not a huge issue but I think I can adjust the turbo flange angle slightly without too much hassle.
Or, I can just leave it as it is and shim it up when I mill the faces.

I dropped the sump today to start on the oil drain, it was all going well enough until I found these in the pan:
bits1.jpg
I've identified the broken bolt and woodruff key as being parts of the cam that broke, but the third piece has me a bit worried.
It looks like it fits a 20mm shaft, all I can think of is a conrod small end, or a chunk of timing gear.
If it's either of those, I would have thought I'd have known about it by now but thew engine was running fine so I'm a bit confused :wtf:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by HQ355 »

Bonus pack ! Spare parts ! Conrod small end would be bigger than 20mm wouldn't it ? It's not a cam retainer plate or anything like that as a cam would be in the 20mm region ? I'd be pulling the motor down and checking everything if it's had bits in the sump, good luck !
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by festy »

I take that back - the woodruff key isn't from the cam, and I know what the third mystery part is from... :sad2:
idler1.jpg
idler2.jpg
That's the timing idler gear, nothing important :shock:

Here's a cutaway showing just how unimportant it is, kind of like an appendix...
alfa-romeo-engine-cut-away.jpg
So please excuse me while I take a brief detour from this turbo build to pull the engine down :cry:

A few months ago I was tossing up whether to take it to the track as it was or hold off and fit the turbo, I have a feeling it would have completely destroyed the engine if I'd ran it hard like this. I can't believe it even ran at all - it's been like that for 2 or 3 years :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by HQ355 »

Lucky !
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by Holden202T »

yeah that's not cool at all!

do those gears need to get hammered onto the shaft or are they a loose fit ? you might find if its tight enough on there you just might not have given it enough curry to spin ? either way, certainly caught it at the right time!