Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Gareth »

whole engine
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

about 3.5-4K

One of the cheapest parts of the car really lol.

All the expensive stuff comes after. Exhaust, suspension,tranny, brakes, paint, interior etc.. maybe even the diff since I think I will have some serious traction issues, already do with a worn out less than stock powered engine.
Last edited by vlad01 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Gareth »

less that I thought :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
TdracerTd
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:39 pm
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by TdracerTd »

I can vouch for the falcon pressure plate and clutch. I am running a BA xr6T pressure plate and a custom xr6t clutch plate with T5 centre in mine.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Jim said he'd modify a xr6 pressure plate for me as they are a good one to mod but I took the stock AU one as he is going for surgery and cant help me for now.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Buying some tools for the job.

Waiting for the guy at the tool shop to get me availability and price on micrometers, inside and outside in 55-65mm ranges. So I got what he had in stock.

Also need an angle meter but seems they are hard to get? So I might just make one.
IMG_2340_zpsmxgi0hse.jpg
very nice dial gauge. its twice as heavy as the ones I use at work and got it for around 68? bucks.
0.001mm gradients. Made in Netherlands I think?
IMG_2339_zpsq1lt1ghk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Holden202T »

you mean an angle gauge to go on the ratchet ? I bought one a few years back from local tool shop, much like this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2-Inch-Dri ... 5d3140c3a6
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

yeah thats it, might try my local auto accessory store see if they got one, otherwise its ebay time.

found some part numbers for mitutoyo bore gauge and micrometers.

I wonder how much they will set me back?

http://ecatalog.mitutoyo.com/Outside-Mi ... C1571.aspx

http://ecatalog.mitutoyo.com/Bore-Gages ... C1518.aspx
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

searched on flebay for the mitutoyo stuff. Looks like heaps of fakes on there. From hong kong and only 200 or so bucks doesn't sound right for a bore gauge.

lol
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Got my heads prep'd for painting today.


Heating them up as the outside temp was only low 5s despite a perfect still sunny day.
IMG_0553_zpsxz8bth52.jpg

First head primed in rust bullet. Seals it from rust and provides a surface for the POR15 engine enamel to stick too. The rust bullet can take more than twice the temp as the engine enamel :lol:
IMG_0554_zpsocjgtriz.jpg

First coat of the enamel.
IMG_0555_zpsrome4rrh.jpg

2nd coat and curing on the stove. The paint being so thick is an understatement. literally thick as treacle. its 70-80% solids. Difficult to brush on but does level out pretty good.
Note that I avoided painting in the bolt hole recesses and spark plug hole. Its bad news if you do given that the paint is so thick. Will touch them up once the engine is assembled
IMG_0558_zpspyijpovz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.