festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by Holden202T »

the rebuilt engine looks nice and clean, but the old engine looks like it has a better idler shaft though ;)
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by festy »

Holden202T wrote:the rebuilt engine looks nice and clean, but the old engine looks like it has a better idler shaft though ;)
Not anymore it doesn't :twisted:
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by festy »

The shaft looks pretty reasonable after a very light polish - better than the original one even
newshaft.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by festy »

My timing cover gaskets arrived from the US, so the engine is now back in one piece.
I finished welding up the exhaust manifold - if I ever make another one I hope I remember to weld the T3 flange to the RHS *before* welding the RHS to the manifold. There just wasn't enough room to get a #26 TIG torch in there the way I did it, drove me nuts trying to get it finished.
After that, I started machining the exhaust flange face flat. Even though I clamped it down during welding, it had still warped by almost 2mm.
Machining it was a very long and boring process, at 25mm/minute it's like watching paint dry after the first half dozen passes. I really need to make myself a *big* flycutter...
flat.jpg
Then I checked the welds for pinhole leaks, found a couple so fixed them up. Then I cleaned it out as best as I could, and gave it a quick coat or two of high temp black.
manifold.jpg
Fitted the manifold (complete with my "custom" nuts) and turbo so I could make up the oil drain hose which I ended up making maybe 10mm too long but it fits as long as it's done up before the turbo is bolted down :oops:

I made a bit of progress on the exhaust, I trimmed the dump pipe to length and tacked a 90* bend on, then realized I need a flange there or the only way the exhaust will go on or off is on a hoist so I stopped there until I can get another V band set.
t.jpg
I think I've pretty much got the turbo's oil and water lines sorted (in my head at least) - I was waiting on some 90* -6 fittings to finish the coolant hoses but they came today so will finish that next time I'm looking for something to do.

With the turbocharger in it's new home and the engine's internals no longer exposed, time to break out the plasma cutter and shoe horn some 3" intercooler piping in :twisted:
ic1.jpg
It looks like the intercooler will need to sit *right* where the oil cooler was, so will have to see if the oil cooler will fit behind the LH headlights or something, unless I can squeeze it back in front of the intercooler.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by Holden202T »

progress is looking good man :)

and no turbo conversion I've heard of is complete without having to re-locate everything!
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10015
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by antus »

I like... :)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by HQ355 »

Holden202T wrote:progress is looking good man :)

and no turbo conversion I've heard of is complete without having to re-locate everything!
Not just turbo's lol
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by Holden202T »

hahaha yep pretty much :)
User avatar
festy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
cars: Alfa Romeos
Location: Narellan, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by festy »

It wouldn't be so annoying if I hadn't only just installed the oil cooler and made up the hoses *just* the right length :rant:
oh well, it could be worse...
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by Holden202T »

yeah I mean its not like you broke your timing gear or anything :)