my ride vt ecotec

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: my ride vt ecotec

Post by vlad01 »

but how do you line up the holes to the ones in the crank? There are no holes in the flywheel but there is in the crank so i can't see how you can drill and align unless there is a special drill for drilling out as you pull? like a reverse pivot drill thing?
User avatar
krusty
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: my ride vt ecotec

Post by krusty »

vlad01 wrote:but how do you line up the holes to the ones in the crank? There are no holes in the flywheel but there is in the crank so i can't see how you can drill and align unless there is a special drill for drilling out as you pull? like a reverse pivot drill thing?

As long as the dowels are 180deg opposed to each other they don't affect balance. the auto cranks generally don't have the dowel holes in them and the ones already there are used for machining locating purposes only

Reason I asked if the holes were drilled is because I can't see them in the pic of the rear of crank

I stole this other pic off google images to show where the T5 had them and where I drill the holes when doing a conversion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: my ride vt ecotec

Post by vlad01 »

ah ok, so drilling new ones.

Every engine I've had from Vn to VY auto and manual all had those existing holes there. Isn't that what the getrag manual use, the existing holes?
vt3.8lt
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:13 am
cars: Vt v6 turbo @ 8psi

Re: my ride vt ecotec

Post by vt3.8lt »

no i havent drilled dowl ho;les in the crank yet i dont thin k the flywheel has holes for them i wasnt aware they were necessary ill have to have a look tomorrow while im at work and see if there there
The answer is always... boost!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: my ride vt ecotec

Post by vlad01 »

from a quick look at some pics on the net, the excedy brand solid flywheel has dowel holes, Dellows one don't, factory doesn't either.
OZ38
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:18 am
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.

Re: my ride vt ecotec

Post by OZ38 »

I did a little "How To" on another Forum if you want an idea.

http://www.l67torque.com/viewtopic.php? ... 48#p151348

Cheers
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: my ride vt ecotec

Post by vlad01 »

you need to be a member to see it :(
OZ38
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:18 am
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.

Re: my ride vt ecotec

Post by OZ38 »

Bugger.... you'll juist have to join another forum lol. ;-)
vt3.8lt
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:13 am
cars: Vt v6 turbo @ 8psi

Re: my ride vt ecotec

Post by vt3.8lt »

Lol that'd be right ok ill have to have a look both at your how to and at my flywheel when i get into work in the morning but what will the benefits be of doing this installation i mean appart from the obvious added support on the flywheel?
The answer is always... boost!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: my ride vt ecotec

Post by vlad01 »

to stop the flywheel moving really. dont see any other reason.

Not sure it really benefits as the humble VW use 4 dowels and 8 dowels is normal aftermarket setup and they come flying off or flogging out the dowels with 1/10th the power of boosted v6 all the time, problem they have is one huge central bolt rather than smaller ones around the perimeter which clearly works better.

When the later, T4 engine came out they ran 5 small bolts no dowels and they never ever had issues despite 2-3 times the torque of the beetle engine.

So I don't see 2 little dowels doing much to be honest.