My Delcoed Rides
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: My Delcoed Rides
yeah planning to drive it up onto ramps at the front in the next few days so will make sure I get a log of it 
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: My Delcoed Rides
Finally got it all working
My logger was sitting on carpet, so id say vibration is way less than solid mounted!
You will get Y axis readings as the car launches and the front rises, same as tilting the logger now. To get rid of that would have to do some math with the Z axis I think.
You will get Y axis readings as the car launches and the front rises, same as tilting the logger now. To get rid of that would have to do some math with the Z axis I think.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: My Delcoed Rides
yeah im happy to suck it and see, at the end of the day i'll get the data and the calcs can be changed later on if needs be, the data will still be there either way, and really its the forward g's I wanted, just happened that the sensor has 3 axis so I thought why not 
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: My Delcoed Rides
So went to Gunnedah again this weekend.....
mixed results lol! car was going really well at the start of the day, in fact it was going really well till it failed!
so initially lost oil pressure and clackety sound from motor so went back to caravan park and after the motor cooled down, found cylinder 3 exhaust rocker was off the pushrod, and the inlet for the same cylinder was loose on the pushrod but the posilocks were both tight.
removed the side plate cover and found out why the pushrod was going down too far
so anyways that was our weekend done .... on returning home and getting the motor apart I found the rest of the bits for the lifter in the sump, some of them on the crank counterweights and some of them in the surrounding block area
I also found the loose rocker was a result of that lobe being very worn and the base of the lifter worn through the case hardening.... I also found that cylinder 3 valves had hit the edge of the block (I had relieved these areas to stop this) .... I am unsure why only this cylinder did it weather it was maybe rocker adjusted slightly more than the others or something, but my brother also free revved the motor (his first go in it) which while im not blaming it, it certainly can't have helped anything .... I'd say it was going to fail sooner or later anyways.
so here you can see that the lifter has certainly left its mark on the camshaft! I was hoping it might have managed to break without hurting the cam but I didn't expect to be that lucky!
and here you can see its made a nice chunk into the lifter bore, so not much good left in this block.
so just to top everything off I found this bent rod in cylinder 4
I dare say its been like this for a while and totally un-related to the lifter failure incident.
I was also very surprised to see how good everything else looked, for acl duralite pistons and a motor with 60thou over bore copping 7000rpm and 20+psi boost for almost 2.5 years I think I have done very well hahaha!
mixed results lol! car was going really well at the start of the day, in fact it was going really well till it failed!
so initially lost oil pressure and clackety sound from motor so went back to caravan park and after the motor cooled down, found cylinder 3 exhaust rocker was off the pushrod, and the inlet for the same cylinder was loose on the pushrod but the posilocks were both tight.
removed the side plate cover and found out why the pushrod was going down too far
so anyways that was our weekend done .... on returning home and getting the motor apart I found the rest of the bits for the lifter in the sump, some of them on the crank counterweights and some of them in the surrounding block area
I also found the loose rocker was a result of that lobe being very worn and the base of the lifter worn through the case hardening.... I also found that cylinder 3 valves had hit the edge of the block (I had relieved these areas to stop this) .... I am unsure why only this cylinder did it weather it was maybe rocker adjusted slightly more than the others or something, but my brother also free revved the motor (his first go in it) which while im not blaming it, it certainly can't have helped anything .... I'd say it was going to fail sooner or later anyways.
so here you can see that the lifter has certainly left its mark on the camshaft! I was hoping it might have managed to break without hurting the cam but I didn't expect to be that lucky!
and here you can see its made a nice chunk into the lifter bore, so not much good left in this block.
so just to top everything off I found this bent rod in cylinder 4
I dare say its been like this for a while and totally un-related to the lifter failure incident.
I was also very surprised to see how good everything else looked, for acl duralite pistons and a motor with 60thou over bore copping 7000rpm and 20+psi boost for almost 2.5 years I think I have done very well hahaha!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Gareth
- Posts: 2678
- Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
- Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic
Re: My Delcoed Rides
LOL, and it was going that well for that long with those problems?, wait till its fixed!!! 
why wouldn't you fix the lifter bore, rather than junk the block?
why wouldn't you fix the lifter bore, rather than junk the block?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: My Delcoed Rides
What rods are they ? Look like star fire rods ?
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: My Delcoed Rides
yeah only reason I am thinking to junk the block is because its 60 thou over and really shouldn't be for the performance level I am asking, plus for the cost of fixing the lifter bore I can probably get another block I have bored to 40 thou, and I have another set of these pistons and rods (40 thou) in like new condition so I can just use them ....
rods are blue/black motor star fire type yes.
rods are blue/black motor star fire type yes.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: My Delcoed Rides
Is the black motor block sny better? What head are you running black?
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: My Delcoed Rides
blue and black are all the same, red block is almost the same once modded for the blue/black head coolant passages - some people think the later blocks aren't as good casting as the earlier ones but I honestly have used all types and never found anything to be better or worse. I purely use the blue/black cranks as they are counterweighted and I use the black efi head as they are the best flow stock, and suit the EFI ports (as apposed to red heads)
the head is a black EFI head which has been ported, bigger valves and screw in studs for adjustable rockers.
the head is a black EFI head which has been ported, bigger valves and screw in studs for adjustable rockers.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: My Delcoed Rides
Did you need to machine the top of the bore to clear the edge of the bigger valve? I think I read you did.