A mate of mine is replacing a tired VN V8 engine and harness in a hz ute for his mate with a fresh VS V8 engine(auto)and its harness and bcm to neaten everything up.
The VS gear has a BWCS 9976 memcal in it. He says t has writing on it "HSV something" It has a knock board on it and the engine has knock sensors as well. (I haven't seen the memcal)
Were these a 256k chip or 512K?
I have a spare modded memcal with an ATMEL AT29C256 eeprom on it.
I want to flash the stock BWCS bin onto it with the VATS removed to get him going for now.
I assume this VS set up he is using needs the BCM?
cheers
VS V8 Auto question
-
monaro308
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:02 am
- cars: HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV
-
vs ss
- Posts: 590
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
- cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1 - Location: perth wa
Re: VS V8 Auto question
The vr-vs v8 use a 512k chip and the bwcs is a hsv tune so at least it has the right knock sensor board.
Running the bcm is up to the person but will serve no purpose in the running of the engine or Trans, so unless he wants the key head side of things and timed interior light etc ( depending on bcm level )you can just wire it up turn of vats and drive.
Also if he is running a thermo fan you will have to set this up in the tune as well.
Hope this helps.
Running the bcm is up to the person but will serve no purpose in the running of the engine or Trans, so unless he wants the key head side of things and timed interior light etc ( depending on bcm level )you can just wire it up turn of vats and drive.
Also if he is running a thermo fan you will have to set this up in the tune as well.
Hope this helps.
-
monaro308
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:02 am
- cars: HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV
Re: VS V8 Auto question
Thanks VS.
Looks like i'll be after an 28 pin AT29C512 eeprom or chase up a cheap uv eraser as I have a couple of VR v6 black based memcals I can erase.
Looks like i'll be after an 28 pin AT29C512 eeprom or chase up a cheap uv eraser as I have a couple of VR v6 black based memcals I can erase.
-
vs ss
- Posts: 590
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
- cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1 - Location: perth wa
Re: VS V8 Auto question
Sounds like it might be the way to go but don't forget to do the netres mod if using a v6 memcal.
From what I know you shouldn't use the v6 knock board with the the v8 due to false knock/no knock detection.
Can you use the memcal he already has?
Cheers.
From what I know you shouldn't use the v6 knock board with the the v8 due to false knock/no knock detection.
Can you use the memcal he already has?
Cheers.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: VS V8 Auto question
Yep and confirm the knock board has a number which starts with 1F printed on it, to be sure its not a dodgy one someone else put together.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: VS V8 Auto question
I brought an eraser from darkwire.com.au $25 delivered from memory.
If you've already got a burner a cheap eraser won't hurt to have. Then you could re use his existing memcal.
Have a play with the timing while you're editing they can still take a bit more and like it.
If you've already got a burner a cheap eraser won't hurt to have. Then you could re use his existing memcal.
Have a play with the timing while you're editing they can still take a bit more and like it.
-
monaro308
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:02 am
- cars: HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV
Re: VS V8 Auto question
Hi VS, Im going read and save his memcal. I don't want to do any damage to it.
I haven't done any reading/uv erase and burning chips before.
I went straight to eeproms and burnt 082 files when I did my Monaro delco conversion and that was 7 years ago...lol and migrated to 12P soon after and haven't looked back.
So this is actually all new to me again you could say so I'm going to need a little help and patience.
Antus yeah definetly a V8 memcal with 1F knockboard.
Dylan I will be buying an uv eraser just to have it aside and have a play down the track.
Right....am I correct in saying that the black based memcals are 512k?
I have a VR $11 '93 V6 auto and a VR $12 '93 V6 manual memcals to play with. I wont worry about the knock board mod yet as we are just going to get the car running first.
Im using my old willem parallel port reader/burner for this job.
Do I read the original HSV memcal using this setting: If so i'll read it and save it and move on to the the guinea pig memcals.
I borrowed a uv eraser from work today so its all go tonight.
Cheers
I haven't done any reading/uv erase and burning chips before.
I went straight to eeproms and burnt 082 files when I did my Monaro delco conversion and that was 7 years ago...lol and migrated to 12P soon after and haven't looked back.
So this is actually all new to me again you could say so I'm going to need a little help and patience.
Antus yeah definetly a V8 memcal with 1F knockboard.
Dylan I will be buying an uv eraser just to have it aside and have a play down the track.
Right....am I correct in saying that the black based memcals are 512k?
I have a VR $11 '93 V6 auto and a VR $12 '93 V6 manual memcals to play with. I wont worry about the knock board mod yet as we are just going to get the car running first.
Im using my old willem parallel port reader/burner for this job.
Do I read the original HSV memcal using this setting: If so i'll read it and save it and move on to the the guinea pig memcals.
I borrowed a uv eraser from work today so its all go tonight.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: VS V8 Auto question
I would read a VR V8 auto memcal as that yes.
-
monaro308
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:02 am
- cars: HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV
Re: VS V8 Auto question
Ok I selected that and changed the jumper settings and read the hsv memcal and saved the bin.
Looks like its ok,starts at $001000 I've put the guinea pig memcal in the oven(eraser) and it reads blank,so all good there!
Looks like its ok,starts at $001000 I've put the guinea pig memcal in the oven(eraser) and it reads blank,so all good there!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
monaro308
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:02 am
- cars: HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV
Re: VS V8 Auto question
In tunerpro bin stacker ,I select - bin size 64kb - chip size 512kb - block size 64kb
Do I stack 2 times or 4 ?
Do I stack 2 times or 4 ?
Last edited by monaro308 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.