VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
67panel
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 am
cars: 68 SWB Series 2a Landrover
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by 67panel »

Great, so who do I get those parts from?

I'll get a replacement O2 sensor if needed.

M
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by Dylan »

I get OBD plugs from the wreckers they are in most cars under the steering wheel.
Just cut them off with as much cable as you can.
67panel
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 am
cars: 68 SWB Series 2a Landrover
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by 67panel »

That's pretty straight forward, what about the other stuff?

M
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by Dylan »

The NVRAM? They are in the for sale section. Do some reading up on them and see if they are for you.
Get tuner pro and have a look at some different factory tunes.

None of this stops you getting it running though. Neither the obd plug.
67panel
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 am
cars: 68 SWB Series 2a Landrover
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by 67panel »

Cool, I'll have a look.
May as well do it all the way I want it first up rather that mucking around afterwards.
Still need to pull the heads off the engine and see what it looks like inside first.
From the sounds of it, it's pretty cut and dry, though I'm sure there is plenty of wiring that can be discarded from the VS loom?

M
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by Dylan »

With the manual not much really. Maybe lose the AC, oil pressure and coolant temp?
They run 2 coolant temp sensors 1 for ecu and another for the dash.
67panel
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 am
cars: 68 SWB Series 2a Landrover
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by 67panel »

Hey Guys,
So it's been a long time but I'm just about ready to bolt the new engine into the Landy.
Ended up doing a complete rebuild on her, so now the block is a 355ci stroker (this always happens).

So, the manual computer I said I had seems to have gone missing and I have no idea where it has gone, meaning I'm going to have to get another.
My question is, does anyone on here have one that want to part with or, what are my options in regards to possible using another computer out of a different model vehicle and reprogramming it to suit my application.

Remember the engine was out of a manual VS Commodore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers...
MAtt
MAGP
Posts: 665
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 am
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by MAGP »

If the original engine is VS series 1 or 2 you could simply use an 808 (VN-VP) or 082 (VR) or 305 (VR-VS). If you want to have en electronic auto you will need a 424 and associated wiring loom. A quick look on ebay should find you an ECM. 12P works with the 808, 082, and 305. 11P works with the 424.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by Dylan »

Replace it with a VN and have a USB comms fitted. Best of both worlds
67panel
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 am
cars: 68 SWB Series 2a Landrover
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by 67panel »

It's a VS model, though I don't know what series.
Won't be running the holden auto, so won't need a computer to control that.
The USB comms sounds good, I've decided I'll need it capable of real time tuning etc.