Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by HQ355 »

Looking good shags
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Holden202T »

yeah the arp bolts are good :)

do you have one of the ring compressors with the flat straps you ratchet up to tighten ? I've found with them you need to get the bottom of it just below the oil ring, then tighten as much as you can, then get it in the bore and tape around the top of the whole compressor to make sure all of it is right up to the bore before tapping it in.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Thats what I have been doing. The little ratchet thing on it is kinds between 2 teeth, so it means I have to keep it tight by hand while I tap it in.


Just a question, how critical is the locations of the ring gaps in relation to the piston? I found the rings move around in the process of tightening the compressor. I can see after the gaps have moved by the oil streak left in the bore.

on the 2nd piston its moved by about 15º. Is that ok?

I noticed the factory engines have the gaps pretty much random, more than often lined up lol
User avatar
jenko
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:43 am
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon
Location: Pine mountain .vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by jenko »

best to try and get the ring gaps opposite each other at the gudgeon pin( least piston rock area). oil control 30deg apart
so I go for top at front second at rear oil control at front .
but i wouldn't be doing them again for 15 deg.But then that depends on how ocd you are :lol:
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Holden202T »

yeah im similar, just trying to keep the gaps away from the wear sides..... also depends on the motor too, but also try to keep the gap away from hot exhaust ports etc.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

jenko wrote:best to try and get the ring gaps opposite each other at the gudgeon pin( least piston rock area). oil control 30deg apart
so I go for top at front second at rear oil control at front .
but i wouldn't be doing them again for 15 deg.But then that depends on how ocd you are :lol:

yeah that ocd, its playing on me haha.

Im just following the workshop manual for the gap location. they just oppose each other. The manual says to set them at 90º from the pin with the oil rings and lower comp ring away from the trust side, top ring is to the trust side but its a really thin ring compared to the lower one.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Holden202T »

I think its one of those things, every man and his dog have there own opinions on whats best, so just do what works best for your OCD :)
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

I couldn't help it, had to pull that one out again and rotate them a bit.

Happy now! :D
IMG_0147_zps0ftxuz48.jpg
IMG_0148_zpsqjgevjto.jpg
Just set it at TDC to see what the deck height was like, more for curiosity than anything. Measured 0.008" Thats pretty small lol.
IMG_0149_zpsdpgz5nlb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Holden202T »

that's not that different to the .01 I have for a stock VR v6 though ?
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by ejukated »

L67 overdrive balancer? Got bigger plans?