265 Hemi to efi

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

I had a problem with the ELB dizzy as the reluctor pick up was stuffed. Tried it a few times and nothing, measured the resistance on the dizzy leads and no reading. I have a new pick up coming and also a fitting to mount the Camira temp sender so will start fitting the loom next as soon as I can prove that it fires up with the ELB dizzy. I might try getting a temp sender from upullit as they want about $60 for a new one. I assume a second hand one should be ok.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Got another ELB dizzy, installed it and runs perfectly, still on the 6AL though. Got a start today, welded in the O2 bung and strung out the camira loom over the motor. Lots of work to go.

Image

Image
Last edited by heff0018 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Charlescrown »

Refresh my memory with why you had to use a ELB distributor. Is it because it has no centrifugal advance? I would think they are hard to find these days and the std dist with the bob weights removed and then welded would work just as well and a dime a dozen. The biggest job looks like the manifold. Post a few pics if that's underway. The fuel side is quiet simple when you start thinking what can be done.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Charlescrown »

Oh forgot to mention you will need another O2 bung for the std O2 sensor or do you plan not to use it when tuning? and the wiring looks like it was meant to be there.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Charlescrown wrote:Refresh my memory with why you had to use a ELB distributor. Is it because it has no centrifugal advance? I would think they are hard to find these days and the std dist with the bob weights removed and then welded would work just as well and a dime a dozen. The biggest job looks like the manifold. Post a few pics if that's underway. The fuel side is quiet simple when you start thinking what can be done.
I originally used the ELB dizzy because I had one lying around and they are ready to go, but in the end the pickup was dead. Cost me $50 for a new pickup so still pretty cheap and I still have a standard electronic dizzy that I can use on my CL if needed. Yes manifold will be the biggest job and cost. I will post pics once that mission starts
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Charlescrown wrote:Oh forgot to mention you will need another O2 bung for the std O2 sensor or do you plan not to use it when tuning? and the wiring looks like it was meant to be there.
Ah I didn't realise that you also needed to run the stock sensor as well as the wideband, thanks.

When I was pulling the loom out I realised that everything was in a similar place to an inline six, and if it wasn't for the future turbo I could probably leave it as is, but I will probably need to unpick the loom and redirect most of it along the firewall and down the rocker cover
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Holden202T »

you don't have to run it, but when you have finished tuning it you can remove the wideband and put the narrowband in there and it will then do closed loop fuel trimming, but if you want to keep the wideband in there as well all the time I'd recommend a second bung!
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Thanks, For $13 bucks for the bung it's a no brainer. Is there any problems with running the second bung at the same angle?
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Charlescrown »

Not sure what you mean by same angle? As long as the bung is close enough to the heat and at an angle that doesn't interfere with anything as well as accessible it will be fine. The Camira and VN O2 sensors don't have a heater so they need to be close to the exhaust manifold. Perhaps someone else can comment.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by HQ355 »

The tip that enters the exhaust is normaly angled at a downward angle to prevent condensation sitting on it, however much room you may have to do so