.....its not as of a result of the engine not having the initial startup performed correctly out of holden?
agree sammy, firm believer in good oil throughout an engines life changed regularly. i don't think much to these 15,000km service intervals in new cars either. built in throw away society i think.
Vlad's rides thread
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Vlad's rides thread
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Vlad's rides thread
Who knows?
I wouldn't think it would be the initial start procedure, it shouldn't matter with a roller. It might have more to do with the material used in the cam, these days all the quality rollers are on a steel billet rather than a cast one. The wear does not seem to be consistent and some of it seems to be on the base circle which might suggest it's a problem with the case hardening.
I wouldn't think it would be the initial start procedure, it shouldn't matter with a roller. It might have more to do with the material used in the cam, these days all the quality rollers are on a steel billet rather than a cast one. The wear does not seem to be consistent and some of it seems to be on the base circle which might suggest it's a problem with the case hardening.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
I agree with the case hardening problem. I mean how can you case harden a porous cast steel? without the porosity itself effecting integrity?
In a VN engine engine I had that blew apart. there was massive chunks chipped out of the cam where the piston hit the valves on that cylinder and the push rods were fine, valves only slightly bent but the cam was f**ked from the impact. Even the rollers were fine.
So that to me concludes that out of the whole valve train the cam is the weakest part material wise.
I've even heard them cams break in half lol.
In a VN engine engine I had that blew apart. there was massive chunks chipped out of the cam where the piston hit the valves on that cylinder and the push rods were fine, valves only slightly bent but the cam was f**ked from the impact. Even the rollers were fine.
So that to me concludes that out of the whole valve train the cam is the weakest part material wise.
I've even heard them cams break in half lol.
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Vlad's rides thread
this happened to a good friend of mine in his v6 saloon car. the other failings i know of is the cam bearings 'walking'i've even heard them cams break in half lol
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
I think the bearing walking issue is when the cam is no longer straight and grabs the bearing when it binds up.
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Vlad's rides thread
yes, which would make sense. not sure who did the grinds in the early days for the v6 saloon cars.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Vlad's rides thread
the other question is, in a production line pumping out thousands of cams each week, how much detail is put into the inspection ? cause be a second that wasn't picked up in the machining phase ....
I guess also the motor having the kms on it that it does and still working perfectly fine means the camshaft has done its job past the warranty date so they probably would care anyways!
I guess also the motor having the kms on it that it does and still working perfectly fine means the camshaft has done its job past the warranty date so they probably would care anyways!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
psyolent wrote:yes, which would make sense. not sure who did the grinds in the early days for the v6 saloon cars.
wasn't it ACL?
-
TdracerTd
- Posts: 488
- Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:39 pm
- cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX
Re: Vlad's rides thread
I would think it would have tighe. I know dean, I'll ask him next time I see him.vlad01 wrote:psyolent wrote:yes, which would make sense. not sure who did the grinds in the early days for the v6 saloon cars.
wasn't it ACL?
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
haha finally!
superb quality!
superb quality!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.