I machined my own throttle body back in 2010? That one is now going on this engine. 66mm it is which is ample for any high powered v6.
I have found with my engines they continue to accelerate right up to the rev limiter despite peak power being at about 4700rpm. A lot of is due to the tall gears and diff so you get better acceleration winding out the gears than lugging it in a higher one. The VR being the exception where it like going into 3rd around 90km/h probably coz is heaver and benefits better when in the more torquey parts of the curve.
the vacationer I wound that out to 110 in 2nd lol. It loved it haha
Vlad's rides thread
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Vlad's rides thread
would have been nice to have a lathe 
theres also a distinct difference here too. your drivetrain combination is manual. mines automatic.
i always found that way up top, the only thing that was occurring, was noise which may have been loss thru the T/C
one thing i did enjoy though was the 3.45 gears. that woke it up in a big way. although being able to tune the ECU back then via Tunerpro would have been handy. remember this would have been circa early 2000s.
theres also a distinct difference here too. your drivetrain combination is manual. mines automatic.
i always found that way up top, the only thing that was occurring, was noise which may have been loss thru the T/C
one thing i did enjoy though was the 3.45 gears. that woke it up in a big way. although being able to tune the ECU back then via Tunerpro would have been handy. remember this would have been circa early 2000s.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
yeah I noticed that too with the red VP, just noise and the gear ratios are terrible lol
1st is too short and 2nd is too tall, it lacks a gear in between there.
1st is too short and 2nd is too tall, it lacks a gear in between there.
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Vlad's rides thread
yep. thats the one.
1st gear, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa thump
2nd gear ithinkicanithinkicanithinkicanithinkicanwerrrrrrrrrrwhaaaaaaaaaaa oops, 110kmh its all over.
1st gear, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa thump
2nd gear ithinkicanithinkicanithinkicanithinkicanwerrrrrrrrrrwhaaaaaaaaaaa oops, 110kmh its all over.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Vlad's rides thread
Yep a manual V6 is better everywhere over the auto version. Unless you're like my missus and prefer to be a lazy driver.......
I had both a 65 and 70mm TB on the V6, the 70mm was nice when I did a lot of open road cruising but way to touchy for short stop/start stuff so I went back to the 65mm unit.
Definitely agree with the gears too, my old VN loved the 3.45 gears, lots of benefits with no down sides, I didn't even loose any fuel economy, if anything it improved. With all my mods I could cruise in 5th gear 55-60km/h and the slightest pressure on the throttle would see it accelerate without complaint. Almost dangerous actually, it was so easy to speed if you weren't paying attention. Got caught once not paying attention, fortunately the officer had run out of tickets and I never received one in the mail
I had both a 65 and 70mm TB on the V6, the 70mm was nice when I did a lot of open road cruising but way to touchy for short stop/start stuff so I went back to the 65mm unit.
Definitely agree with the gears too, my old VN loved the 3.45 gears, lots of benefits with no down sides, I didn't even loose any fuel economy, if anything it improved. With all my mods I could cruise in 5th gear 55-60km/h and the slightest pressure on the throttle would see it accelerate without complaint. Almost dangerous actually, it was so easy to speed if you weren't paying attention. Got caught once not paying attention, fortunately the officer had run out of tickets and I never received one in the mail
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Vlad's rides thread
This is what Gear Vendors have to say about the T700R4/4L60e type transmissions.psyolent wrote:yep. thats the one.
1st gear, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa thump
2nd gear ithinkicanithinkicanithinkicanithinkicanwerrrrrrrrrrwhaaaaaaaaaaa oops, 110kmh its all over.
https://www.gearvendors.com/cg2wd4s.html700R4/4L60E's have a low 3.06 first gear which is good for initial take off but this makes the transmission have the widest ratio changes of all popular makes and is the route of all the 4L60's reliability and performance issues. The intention of the designers (a low starting gear and tall overdrive) was the best possible EPA ratings, which the trans does well but these wide ratios are a big compromise to performance and durability.
Even if you use forced induction (supercharging) on a 4L60 trans equipped vehicle it is hard to overcome the wide ratios. The vehicle cannot simply increase its vehicle speed 47% (the ratio split of the 1-2 shift) without pulling the motor rpm down a huge amount. Thus the more power you feed the 4L60 the more it converts to heat in its clutches and torque convertor. If you try to lock down the clutches without computerized torque management you break the transmission - there is just no way to work well with stock ratios that are equivalent to skipping a gear (going from 1st to 3rd - skipping 2nd in an M21 manual is only 41%).
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
yeah its definitely a performance killer. I timed the new Vp with a good memcal. does 0-100 in about 9.5 sec lol so painfully slow.
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Vlad's rides thread
fk. don't be telling me this shit now i've buttoned up my auto and ready to go in
lol.
vlad we need some more engine pr0n.
lol.
vlad we need some more engine pr0n.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Vlad's rides thread
still waiting on the mace stuff. hopefully tomorrow it should arrive.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Vlad's rides thread
big converter will fix that 47% issue 
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread