V6=m78 b/w 28 spline centre.
V8=m86 Dana 30 spline centre.
CF Bedford Van
-
vs ss
- Posts: 590
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
- cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1 - Location: perth wa
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: CF Bedford Van
ok right, I've never found that differentiation on the net so thanks!
im interested to know now it sounds like most of the people that have had the noisy diffs have been the M86 .... hopefully that is the case
it also means I should be able to remove that CV shaft flange and put a normal M78 flange on it!
im interested to know now it sounds like most of the people that have had the noisy diffs have been the M86 .... hopefully that is the case
it also means I should be able to remove that CV shaft flange and put a normal M78 flange on it!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
brindo
- Posts: 333
- Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 pm
- Location: Western Queensland
Re: CF Bedford Van
If they are an M78 inside, that opens up a range of cheaper centres like the Tru Trac.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: CF Bedford Van
That is good news indeed.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: CF Bedford Van
mind you it looks like Truetracs for M78's are dearer than for M86's 
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
WraithGTO
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:45 am
- cars: HSV GTO
VS Series 3 V8 Manual UTE
Jeep CJ10 AMC 360 V8 Manual
Suzuki 1100 Katana - Location: Harvey ,Western Australia
Re: CF Bedford Van
It has been a excellent Build thread to read.
It good to know , with some slight mods . The commodore parts are fitting.
The M86 is a multi plate diff.
If you need any info , for the crewman diff. I have most of the info for them .
It good to know , with some slight mods . The commodore parts are fitting.
The M86 is a multi plate diff.
If you need any info , for the crewman diff. I have most of the info for them .
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: CF Bedford Van
Thanks mate, and yeah I like that most things fit pretty easily with minor mods!
I've seen an exploded diagram of a M86 and wondered about that!
any info you have on the M78 crewman diff I'd welcome
I've seen an exploded diagram of a M86 and wondered about that!
any info you have on the M78 crewman diff I'd welcome
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
VK_3800
- Posts: 578
- Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
- cars: SS Torana
- Location: NZ
Re: CF Bedford Van
M78s use the exact same centres as M75s, so no cheaper options there sorry. The crownwheel is slightly larger outside diameter only, inside and bolt pattern is the same.
M86 is listed for V8 VY/VZ one tonner and live axle crewcab as far as I can make out, the AWDs had M70 front and M78 rear.
M86 is listed for V8 VY/VZ one tonner and live axle crewcab as far as I can make out, the AWDs had M70 front and M78 rear.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: CF Bedford Van
Any chance we could get a look at that info? I have a M86 in mind for a future project.WraithGTO wrote:It has been a excellent Build thread to read.
It good to know , with some slight mods . The commodore parts are fitting.
The M86 is a multi plate diff.
If you need any info , for the crewman diff. I have most of the info for them .
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: CF Bedford Van
Ok so diff updates 
I got the axles out and measured them up and confirm as per above they are 95mm difference in length. so the bearing part of the axle is about 5mm larger than the VN-VS axles, and interesting to see they have the ABS sensors on the axles outside of the diff housing now, these could surely be used as a speedo sensor if needed I reckon!
Also the flange has changed to an almost square pattern. so I butchered the stock Bedford diff and cut off the spring mount and the shock mount. exhibit A
so in the below picture I have located the diff where it will sit on the driver side, and the passenger side is 95mm short of the leaf spring, to give me an idea of how its all going to sit.
wheel kinda looks too small, also I think some lowering would help things!
and I reckon the offset is spot on
and its pretty much the same space from the guard as the front wheels so it will look right!
so now I just need to get myself another diff, I have found one local that is V6 Crewman 3.08 LSD so hopefully find out Monday if I can get it or not and then i'll be on the home stretch with this conversion!
I'm debating too, weather I shorten the driver side 10mm or so, I can cut that much off the spline of the axle and have it still go in without bottoming out, so might do that but will lengthen the passenger side first and see where it all sits then decide on that part of it!
I got the axles out and measured them up and confirm as per above they are 95mm difference in length. so the bearing part of the axle is about 5mm larger than the VN-VS axles, and interesting to see they have the ABS sensors on the axles outside of the diff housing now, these could surely be used as a speedo sensor if needed I reckon!
Also the flange has changed to an almost square pattern. so I butchered the stock Bedford diff and cut off the spring mount and the shock mount. exhibit A
I'm debating too, weather I shorten the driver side 10mm or so, I can cut that much off the spline of the axle and have it still go in without bottoming out, so might do that but will lengthen the passenger side first and see where it all sits then decide on that part of it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread