265 Hemi to efi

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Charlescrown »

I had considered the temp might be an issue but it's not done so yet in about 5 years. The reason for the very small hole creating the restriction is because I found that it had a fuel starve problem if the hole was too large so I reduced it to a about 1mm mainly to bleed any air out that may form or be sucked in at the tank pickup when cornering. Rocket Industries sell a kit where you cut a hole in the top of the tank and fit an intank pump assembly. Looks like the way I would do my next conversion.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

I'm not real keen on cutting a hole in the top of a VH Charger tank, I would hate to think how much they are worth. That's why I went the surge tank option.

Got the check engine light going and put it in diagnostic mode. I know it worked because once I bridged the connectors the light started flashing codes at me and some strange sound came from somewhere, not sure what that was. Hopefully this has set the timing but I didn't have time to fire up the motor. Will know soon enough.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Holden202T »

the strange sounds could have bee the IAC ticking :)

another option for your fuel return if you wanted to, I've done it before to old holdens, get a centre punch and sharpen it up to a good point, then punch a hole in the tank filler neck, keep hammering it in till the hole it large enough to fit a brass barbed fitting in, then solder it in place. saves too much damage and soldering is safer on a fuel tank!
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Charlescrown »

Yea that's a good idea. I just used the original supply line and rerouted it at the tank into the original return line point and fitted a new 3/8 supply line. The question of not returning much fuel back to the tank and heat is really not really not an issue in my books because when you look at all the modern cars they don't have a return line. I know the pressure is higher but all said and done did they over react when they first designed the systems. The diesels CRDI do need a return line because of some obvious design reasons but the fuel gets hot due to the extreme pressure so they fit fuel coolers on the return line. Never measured the temp of the returning fuel but it would be an interesting experiment.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Timing is still way out, I must be doing something wrong. Fired it up and [youtube][/youtube]It hasn't seem to change at all, still retarded to buggery
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by vs ss »

Have you set the dizzy at 10 degrees with the ecu disconected?
Also does the timing change with ecu connected and powered up?
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

vs ss wrote:Have you set the dizzy at 10 degrees with the ecu disconected?
Also does the timing change with ecu connected and powered up?
Thanks for the reply. Yes the dizzy was set at 10 degrees but I had to do this by reinstalling the MSD as I got no spark with the ECU disconnected. Is that right?

Yes I can see the timing mark way to the left.

What you say above seems so straight forward I must be missing something obvious, cheers.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Dylan »

You should have spark with the ecu disconnected and no msd. Provided the wiring is correct.
Either way if yiu have 10 degree advice with no ecu that's correct.
Then if your reference angle is correct in the tune the timing marks should match what's commanded from ecu.
Such as 10 deg in diagnostic and say low 20's at idle.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Thanks Dylan. Yes strange that how I had no spark with the ECU disconnected. I thought from what I had read that i should have Been able to start the engine with the ECU unplugged.

When I download the tune from the NVRAM it shows the spark reference angle at near 10 degrees, it's like 9.8 even though I entered 10.

Do I also need to change something in the tables?

I am not sure if this is how it works but it looks as it would be about 40 to 50 degrees retarded when it's running normally (on ECU) and in diagnostic mode. Could this relate to the Original VN spark reference angle of 60 degrees still being in play. Cheers
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Charlescrown »

Have you got the polarity of the pickup the right way round. They run like a real bag if it's the other way.
Shouldn't the spark reference angle be set to 70 for a 6 cylinder? 9.8 is for a 4 cylinder.