CF Bedford Van

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

so nothing stopping me now, picked up the LSD crewman diff today, by all accounts looks to be in really good nick! I can't turn the axles opposite ways so that LSD is looking good :)

time to start measuring and cutting!
User avatar
firebug
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:06 am
cars: Pathfinder Ti550
L67 Gemini
78 Camaro Z28
Location: Newcastle NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by firebug »

Holden202T wrote:so nothing stopping me now, picked up the LSD crewman diff today, by all accounts looks to be in really good nick! I can't turn the axles opposite ways so that LSD is looking good :)

time to start measuring and cutting!
Image
Last edited by firebug on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

after much procrastinating and measuring and spreadsheeting and such, I finally made a bit of progress over the weekend, decided on a length and cut into the diff tube!
P1120974.jpg
so this is the passenger side which was the short axle side, its been lengthened 85mm which is the smallest I could make it.
P1120975.jpg
so once I did the cutting I tack welded the longer end onto the diff and stuck it all in the van for a dummy fitting and measure of track widths, its currently over the maximum track increase by 8mm so it means I need to shorten the driver side by 10mm and i'll be just right!
P1120989.jpg
for those that don't know, the axles are roughly 12mm longer splined than needed and so this means you can put them in ~10mm further and then trim the excess off the end to allow it all to still work and this is the saving grace of my conversion to just get it under the max track width increase....

this below picture is an old LSD centre I had (fucked from water) which I cut into it to reveal the spots I needed to see so I can install it into the diff and work out widths/spline lengths to get the max out of it I can :) you can see that this axle has 2mm spline left on the end so its not going to bottom out!
P1120995.jpg
I bought some tube to use for sleeves this morning so hopefully this week I can get most of the diff tube lengthening done and dusted!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Gareth »

Nice work!!!

Do you intend on running a rear sway bar on this?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

well maybe one day, not sure .... I did get the original crewman bar with the diff but it goes backwards and will most likely hit on my exhaust so might look at fitting a forward facing one like earlier model commodores....

the van currently doesn't have one in the front so if anything I'll be fitting one that end first!
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by HQ355 »

Nice work, your the 1st person I've heard of making a diff wider lol
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

yeah its an odd concept to me too hahahahah :) I've done shortened borgies for Gemini, torana, HR holden etc but never wider :)

when I was buying the van I actually got the owner to measure across the front and rear wheels, was 1930mm front side to side ..... the widest trailer I could find was 1970mm or something like that! but that is a fair bit wider than stock, the mags that were on it sat out about 2 inchs more than stockers .....

and my driveway is 2300mm wide!
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by HQ355 »

That's great, you can still get it sideways in the drive way lol
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

lol no thanks!
User avatar
firebug
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:06 am
cars: Pathfinder Ti550
L67 Gemini
78 Camaro Z28
Location: Newcastle NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by firebug »

You have enough room out the back to do some circlework. Sammynats has a nice ring to it!
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"