265 Hemi to efi

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

No not as yet Dylan, I reckon there is a problem. I don't think I am getting any voltage from the wideband as it just sits on 10. I will have to test it later.cheers
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Holden202T »

well the motor seems to be running nice and smooth :)
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Ha Yeah It did last night but this morning it was missing again.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Dylan »

Worse when cold? Or hot?
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Funny thing that, I was about to add....it didn't have time to warm up yesterday morning when it was missing and I ran out of fuel but it had been running for around 30 minutes on Friday night when I took the vid. So worse when cold. I just wonder if this motor has a couple of things working against me like a worn timing chain and cam end float that is affecting the true timing setting. It just doesn't seem to like 10 degrees at idle, if I turn the dizzy to drop the timing back to tdc the it reduces the missing. I will have to check that the timing is back to 10 degrees in diagnostic mode and start again.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Dylan »

When idling in normal mode the ecu normally commands timing in the low 20's.
Unless you've changed that in the tune.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Charlescrown »

There are a couple of things I would do. First I would put a std distributor in and run the std spark (no Delco). If it runs OK it says its in the program. If not yes your problem is elsewhere. If it runs well and you have an old distributor cap cut the side out so you can see inside when the engine is running. With a timing light see if the rotor and cap are close to each other. I am thinking about the spark reference angle causing misalignment between cap and rotor causing cross firing. What I am getting at is you are using the learn burn distributor which may have some weird spark reference angle built in. The other alternative is to get a std distributor and weld the bob weights up and try it. I have some Chrysler training info on the ELB here somewhere and will dig it out. Question do the ELB and the std use the same distributor cap?
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Dylan wrote:When idling in normal mode the ecu normally commands timing in the low 20's.
Unless you've changed that in the tune.
Thanks, Tunerpro dashboard was showing it at between 15 and 20 degrees at idle but jumping a bit. I know I made some changes in the tune but have to go back and start from scratch.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Charlescrown wrote:There are a couple of things I would do. First I would put a std distributor in and run the std spark (no Delco). If it runs OK it says its in the program. If not yes your problem is elsewhere. If it runs well and you have an old distributor cap cut the side out so you can see inside when the engine is running. With a timing light see if the rotor and cap are close to each other. I am thinking about the spark reference angle causing misalignment between cap and rotor causing cross firing. What I am getting at is you are using the learn burn distributor which may have some weird spark reference angle built in. The other alternative is to get a std distributor and weld the bob weights up and try it. I have some Chrysler training info on the ELB here somewhere and will dig it out. Question do the ELB and the std use the same distributor cap?
Thanks Charles, any info on the ELB would be appreciated. Interesting you mention the ELB cap because I hAve never been happy with the fit of the cap that I had. I will contact Ray from ELB services and find out. I will find a spare cap and check the alignment.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

The ELB cap is the same. Did more testing today, misses on both ECU and straight MSD but worse on the ECU. It is extremely hard to start when set at the correct 10 degrees if you retard the timing say 20 degrees before tdc it turns over easily and idles quite ok but still a bit of missing. I suspect, as Charles has hinted above that there is a problem with this ELB dizzy. When I think back the only time it ran nicely was with the original non-ELB electronic dizzy and MSD. Next I will go back to this original setup and if all good do the mod to weld up that dizzy. Cheers