265 Hemi to efi

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Charlescrown »

I think most of the basics like cap alignment and part number have been checked but I an still very suspicious with the ELB distributor because the std dissy which has a vacuum advance has an allowance for rotor button misalignment under vacuum advance conditions (centrifugal has no effect as the rotor and reluctor are moving the same amount of degrees where vacuum the pickup coil is moving) where the ECU controlled has nothing except for spark reference angle to ensure alignment under all driving conditions.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Holden202T wrote:, if its that close to the next cylinder on the cap have you tried moving the leads all around one spot and see if that's any better ?
Its not quite half way round to the next post Sam
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

At that time how far off is the rotor from the #1 post?
It is right on the post
If that is OK then reference angle is around 20 degrees. Sounds too low for my gut feel. Are you sure the cap is the correct part and is aligned correctly with the body of the


There is a bit of movement in the cap on the body but its not extreme
Might help to post up a photo of the top of the dissy at #1 TDC with and without the rotor as well as one with the cap in place. Try to do this without moving the camera so they can be superimposed to measure things. Which way does the dissy rotate?
Clockwise

Thanks Simon




*** edit ***
[/quote]Is the rotor the correct part? Some of these dissys needed a rotor with an extended / offset tip to allow for the timing range.

Simon[/quote]

An offset rotor tip would be handy and so would a crank trigger setup.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Charlescrown wrote:I think most of the basics like cap alignment and part number have been checked but I an still very suspicious with the ELB distributor because the std dissy which has a vacuum advance has an allowance for rotor button misalignment under vacuum advance conditions (centrifugal has no effect as the rotor and reluctor are moving the same amount of degrees where vacuum the pickup coil is moving) where the ECU controlled has nothing except for spark reference angle to ensure alignment under all driving conditions.
Thanks Charles, I will see what I can find out about the difference in the ELB distributors.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

I found there is no big difference in the Elb and other distributors other than the obvious but the rotor phase issue and misfiring is quite common. There is an offset reluctor that you can buy to address this for Chrysler distributors but not sure if they fit the Hemi Six Bosch dizzy. I picked up a new dizzy cap and it fits much tighter, there was a fair bit of play in the old dizzy cap and if you push it hard to the wrong side it actually moves the post position a fair bit. Maybe a few things were adding up to create the misfire.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Bit of an update. I checked the rotor phasing with the ELB dizzy and looked pretty good but it was running like a piece of crap this morning, worse than ever. So I started from scratch and put back in the original dizzy and MSD and again it was running like a piece of crap. This is strange as it was running sweet using this setup a couple of months ago. In one way this is kind of a relief in that it doesn't seem to be an ECU/camira wiring issue but some basic electrical problem. Now I just have to work out the common denominator, could it be that both coils are cooked? Pretty slim chance I think
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Spark plugs were fouled. Ha so simple but not sure it this relates to the misfiring or not, I will find out later today.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Dylan »

I've had fouled plugs before they don't run real good at all.
heff0018
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Back on the camira ignition now and CPU and running like a gem. I had new plugs when I started but didn't realise how rich the mixtures were set on the carby, that and a lot of idling.
slewinson
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:08 am
cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by slewinson »

heff0018 wrote:Back on the camira ignition now and CPU and running like a gem. I had new plugs when I started but didn't realise how rich the mixtures were set on the carby, that and a lot of idling.
Winner!

Great to hear that you are making progress. Waiting to see the next steps.

Simon