Knock Box Talk

User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Knock Box Talk

Post by The1 »

had a play with festy's knock box finally, here's a WOT screenshot, Red is the A/D of the factory system, you can see it's not much good at WOT, just to much gain so background noise issues and ignore time mostly canceling it out, but looking at Knock Active loops it still working well enough so will have to retune the factory system a bit, you can see knock active loops and factory A/D picking up knock at the start but festy's box isn't but it's tuned out so no retard. Makes for some interesting tuning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Knock Box Talk

Post by vlad01 »

The1 wrote:and not much longer and would have also seen what it looks like
lol

And this is what my sisters XF ute sounds like all the time. Knocks its head off on LPG and petrol. But its a ford so who cares.
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Knock Box Talk

Post by The1 »

prob why they do many heads and gaskets :hmm:
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Knock Box Talk

Post by vlad01 »

The1 wrote:prob why they do many heads and gaskets :hmm:

nah thats cos they dumb ass ford designers thought using a cardboard gasket would be suffice on a massively long engine with alloy heads and iron block while running them up to 100o

I don't ever hear them knock, but this is the 1st one I have come across. We have had over a dozen 4L fords over 20 years. They run too rich and retard to knock.

Not sure what is wrong with this one except everything lol.
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Knock Box Talk

Post by The1 »

There' just all the corrupted Holden engineers arn't they? lol

With what little time ive spent on this i did start looking at adding in some form of knock per cylinder system, ecotecs have a injector counter which is used for sequential from the cam signal and 3x so was going to look at using that to output retard per cylinder to the datastream, one idea anyway, just need some time to look at it further.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Knock Box Talk

Post by immortality »

Makes sense so any noise other than during the expected knock window is completely ignored.

I did PM festy to get one of his knock boards but no reply :(
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Knock Box Talk

Post by vlad01 »

Must be on holidays lol. Or inventing new add on broads for delcos.