VK T5 L67

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
ralcool
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:48 pm
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Re: VK T5 L67

Post by ralcool »

The verdict isn't good.

Head reco bloke says all the seats are shot, severely recessed, was unable to pull a vacuum on the intake ports.

Small crack on #4 between the valves.

Reckons $900 to recondition.

:shock:

Then there is some scoring in the centre bores of both banks... Rings are probably gone too.
cylinder3.jpg
If I can get out of this for 2 grand I might survive the beating from the missus. (But she did break it!)

:mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VK T5 L67

Post by Holden202T »

nasty outcome! but yes you can blame the missus hehehe ;)
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VK T5 L67

Post by vlad01 »

looks pretty toast.
User avatar
ralcool
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:48 pm
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Re: VK T5 L67

Post by ralcool »

The heads today sit on a shelf, finished and waiting.

Fully restored. The princely sum of $940... well, they are rare. And only available when you don't need them.

So the next journey is downstairs. I'll have the motor out tomorrow with a swag of photos probably. Checking the MACE web store shows I could be spending even more.

I really hope to at least reuse the pistons but wrap them in new rings and outfit the crank with a splashing of Kings bearings.

I'll know more once its apart- I know some might be asking why it isn't done yet, its just a matter of time and money honey.

Just had to install a new hotwater system since the old thing died, and I installed a 24 tube solar collector to supplement/save in the long term as well :thumbup:
Good old fashion horse trading saw some plumbing work exchanged for a rewire of a 4x4. Happy days.

Cheers.
User avatar
ralcool
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:48 pm
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Re: VK T5 L67

Post by ralcool »

Whoa, finally have some internet data to burn.

So, I ordered a set of those FoMoCo/Denso AL3E-F7A injectors 'The1' suggested.

Seems I need some new injectors anyway, despite an essentially full engine rebuild there is still its original mis-fire under load.
Some of the damage seems related to a lean out on #4 cylinder.... melted plastic LIM gaskets a clue there!

There will be some pics after I return home, but there isn't much to show... Crank got linished, dunny brush down the bores. Some Mace rings, head & rocker bolts.
New timing chain and tensioner, metal LIM and sump gaskets, King Main and Rod bearings, plus some unbranded Cam bearings.

Overall its back together... only now with a noise that can only be described as a knock deep in the motor.... I didn't remove or disable the balance shaft, but its next to be tried as I rippped of the manifold and threw in new lifters to no effect, took off the sump again thinking the worst.. but nuffin' to see or find.

Up to 900km now, compression is strong, idle is tougher... but something still isn't right. No lack of effort trying.

Its just slightly annoying given money and time expended. But it runs, and brought us to Geelong reliably for unmissable appointments.

Cheers!
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: VK T5 L67

Post by Dylan »

Put some logs up we'll have a look
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VK T5 L67

Post by vlad01 »

Did you change the harmonic balancer?
User avatar
ralcool
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:48 pm
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Re: VK T5 L67

Post by ralcool »

No recent logs at the moment, my logging laptop has decided its nVidia GPU should die again.... Bloody thing.

And neither of my android devices support USB host mode. 2012 Nexus 7 or a cheapo pre-paid Samsung Galaxy.

That said, I haven't tried the HTC One my wife just retired... Must install ALDLdroid on it and see what happens. (No laptop for logs would be easier)

Otherwise, I didn't replace the balancer no... there was no evidence of trouble before the rebuild.. nor was the balance shaft a suspect then either.
I had some strange splits in the O2 voltages and one bank always running negative figures in the BLMs.. despite attempting to correct whether there was a earthing problem.

Now its back on the road.. perhaps briefly, I'll get another log asap since I hate being blind to the internal goings on. Symptoms are much the same as before.
Runs fine until you give it the beans.. over 3k rpm it will miss fire. Leads, plugs, coils have been swapped for spares.. no change.

Actually, Cold start has always been a bitch... Cranks for ages... Better to crank then pause, then crank again. Then its fine all day.
Temperature readings in the logs show they were reading correctly, I think I adjusted some IAC settings to reduce rpm flare after start.
Might swap the MAF for giggles.

Driving the thing an hour ago... the suspicious knock is more of a rhythmic clatter in time with a rocker...most noticeable at idle, I'll record it and put it up for scrutiny. :)
Oddly it can seem to disappear slightly at times.

Can't do much away from home base... but have the tool box on board to remind it I'm watching.....lol.

Cheers
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VK T5 L67

Post by Holden202T »

ralcool wrote:Actually, Cold start has always been a bitch... Cranks for ages... Better to crank then pause, then crank again. Then its fine all day.
in my experience thats a good sign that the cranking fuel is not enough, stopping then starting again stops the fuel pw from decaying or switching to the second stage cranking table, which has lower numbers than the first stage!
User avatar
ralcool
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:48 pm
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Re: VK T5 L67

Post by ralcool »

Alrighty, managed a log run this morning... Cold start was perfect.. ECU must have done some good learning.
Dodgy old laptop from brother re-purposed.

Just a city run and back.. about 15mins. Shows again the crazy BLMs on the RH bank. Something is still very wrong.
Different O2 sensors (Bosch and NTN tried), swapped L > R, R > L... no change. Earthing played with.
cold_geelong.zip
At least the missus is happy its running again.. but knows it isn't 100% yet.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.