Thermostats

For non EFI mechanical discussion
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Thermostats

Post by HQ355 »

It's not a proper cold air intake (yet, that's also on the to do list) but aparently the std inlet is well known for it and when you put bigger cams in it makes matters worse, I'm not expecting miracles because for atleast the time being I'm not changing the inlet manifold so I'm just trying to sneak a bit here and a bit there and hope it adds up to a minor improvement until I win lotto and get a VN Group A manifold lol
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Thermostats

Post by Dylan »

Yes the cams dont help the intake temps. I'm running a stock intake now with a 284 cam and seeing 100 degree intake temps too. Never logged a dead stock motor to see how they hold up.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Thermostats

Post by HQ355 »

What sort of power are you seeing out of that combo ? An old mate had very similar (same cam) and shaved heads to bump up comp and guy he bought it off said 180 rwkw, he didn't get it with the tune so when I drove it it was a bit soggy. I had the motor apart before the transplant and it was rooted inside so there's no way it would get close but I allways wondered what a decent same spec would acheive
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Thermostats

Post by Dylan »

Haven't had it on dyno. Only had 2 drives I think so tune is very early stages.
Ported intake and heads with big springs. Flat tops shaved heads and block comp should be ok.

It's motor from my old combo but took heads and intake off and changed the cam.
Gearing up to sell the car. Low K's good condition 94 clubsport with a TKO 5 speed gear box.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Thermostats

Post by vlad01 »

Charlescrown wrote:100 deg ouch that's very high. Have you got a cold air intake?
Hot intake yes, cold nope lol
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Thermostats

Post by HQ355 »

Dylan wrote:Haven't had it on dyno. Only had 2 drives I think so tune is very early stages.
Ported intake and heads with big springs. Flat tops shaved heads and block comp should be ok.

It's motor from my old combo but took heads and intake off and changed the cam.
Gearing up to sell the car. Low K's good condition 94 clubsport with a TKO 5 speed gear box.
Sounds like a nice combo, what's going to replace it ? Bigger, badder better or Vespa ?
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Thermostats

Post by Dylan »

A project! Used to run a better set of heads and a solid cam (288) and a Motec twin throttle intake. Kept the heads and intake for another day.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Thermostats

Post by HQ355 »

U'l give u a slab for the intake ? Lol
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Thermostats

Post by Dylan »

I'll give you a look at it for that lol. They do fetch a dollar but they are awesome bits of gear. The COME one's are a reasonable price and they perform very well. I've tuned a mates 355 running one with a large solid cam and it pulls real well. The tunes in the 12P custom thread along with the one for my old combo.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Thermostats

Post by HQ355 »

I've heard a few things about the come ones, are they ok ? Or better with a tourque power and throttle body ?