Thermostats

For non EFI mechanical discussion
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Thermostats

Post by Dylan »

Couldn't be sure on that never done a back to back. I'd guess with good cubes the come would be better.
But a harrop or torue power dueal plane are nothing to be shy about either very good bits of gear.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Thermostats

Post by immortality »

Standard banana manifolds run really hot regardless. Seeing intake temps in the 80-90° C here in NZ where it's slightly cooler.

With my mates 355 that i've been tuning at the strip seeing AIT's of about 90° sitting in the staging lanes (worst case) with it dropping once it gets some airflow going down the strip. Best we saw on that day was about 60° C. If I remember correctly the AIT's were fairly close to the ECT's. I'd throw a 180° F thermostat in it.

Because the plenum is at the bottom of the valley in these manifolds they heat soak very quickly.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Thermostats

Post by HQ355 »

That wasy thinking, if I went to a torque power manifold or similar how would that affect torque ? Would it loose, compared to the bannanas ?
VK_3800
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
cars: SS Torana
Location: NZ

Re: Thermostats

Post by VK_3800 »

immortality wrote:I'd throw a 180° F thermostat in it.
That's what it should have anyway, if the temp never goes above 92 when sitting/idling there's nothing wrong with that. If it doesn't drop down to thermostat temp (82c) when driving though maybe it needs replacing. With thermostats these days you never really know whether its fully open when it should be, worth testing in a pot before installing to make sure its where it should be. Can be 5-10 degree variations and some take longer to open fully than others.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Thermostats

Post by immortality »

He said it sits at 92° all day, I take that to mean that is the minimum temp once the thermostat is open. Standard thermostat is 190°F/89°C ? so that would be within tolerance I guess.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Thermostats

Post by Dylan »

HQ355 wrote:That wasy thinking, if I went to a torque power manifold or similar how would that affect torque ? Would it loose, compared to the bannanas ?
I'd say peak torque would be up maybe even a fatter curve but slightly higher rpm range.
There's plenty of throttle body options to suit them. Some even have the injectors in it to look like a carby great for a HQ.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Thermostats

Post by immortality »

It would be interesting to see a back to back test banana Vs TP or Harrop dual plane manifold.

I too think you will see slightly less torque where the banana's is optimised with it's extremely long runners but the TP will give a fatter torque curve higher up the rpm band.

Would require a fair few tuning changes I bet.

I'm still of two minds about my Senator, stick with the banana's or go TP or Harrop with 1000cfm TB on top and big filter out the bonnet :D
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Thermostats

Post by vlad01 »

standard stat Im sure is 195F which is 91c roughly.
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Thermostats

Post by The1 »

HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Thermostats

Post by HQ355 »

Ok, so no one is realy saying to put a lower temp thermostat in so i'l just go ahead with the thermo fans, how much kw roughly do you gain from going from mech to electric fans ? I have the VT 220 kw badges on my motor and that's what I want ! Except mine will be at the wheels