Spark plug lead removal

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Spark plug lead removal

Post by immortality »

Hey guys,

Merry Xmas to all :)

What are folks using to remove the plug leads from plugs? I have big hands and struggle to get a decent grip on the spark plug lead boots to get them off, it's worse with those steel capped leads when the boot is frozen onto the spark plug. I spend more time getting those suckers off than it takes to swap out a set of plugs. What makes it worse is I normally end up skinning at least one knuckle if the car has those chunky factory cast iron exhaust manifolds :(
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Spark plug lead removal

Post by vlad01 »

I just use my hands, they are easy, I pull by the ally shield and not the boot. You need to try doing them on a ford then you'll know hard work and injuries lol
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Spark plug lead removal

Post by HQ355 »

I find it's easier to just set a ford on fire than work on the shit boxes !
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Spark plug lead removal

Post by vlad01 »

HQ355 wrote:I find it's easier to just set a ford on fire than work on the shit boxes !

I set one on fire once, drained the coolant and oil and held it at red line til the grease on the engine caught fire! problem solved :thumbup:
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Spark plug lead removal

Post by HQ355 »

That's a start lol if we do it one at a time we'l get there :)