BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
BennVenn
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200
Location: Windellama, NSW

Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion

Post by BennVenn »

With the returnless setup, is there typically an accumulator on the engine end?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion

Post by vlad01 »

I would use one regardless. VN to VR use 2 accumulators, one in the tank and one at the engine even though they have a return type system.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion

Post by vlad01 »

BennVenn wrote:There is a front kit on justkampers for $700 but says won't fit a 1303, vollks.com.au had a kit - they're happy to take your money but don't respond to emails when your new distributor doesn't work (vac advance had a hole in it). Having rear only discs sounds like an accident waiting to happen... I'll keep looking.

What happend to your T3?
I got mine from a Glenn something or other. A machinist/engineer in NSW and his kits are based on genuine OEM parts and CNC machine billet steel brackets. Pretty sure he did a superbug kit.

I still got my t3 but gave up once I got into holden v6. VWs are just way too slow and unreliable and expensive for my requirements.

The engine I wanted for my t3 was going to cost 30k + and I can exceed its performance and reliability and efficiency with 400-600 dollar V6 engine lol, so thts why I didn't bother anymore. Also they are native delco platform so it ticked all the boxes for me.
BennVenn
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200
Location: Windellama, NSW

Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion

Post by BennVenn »

Vollks have what I want, around $400 for the front kit.

Are VN-VR accumulators barbed or built into the rail? The VK accumulator is barbed but they're not too common 'round these parts. Maybe 6m of rubber fuel hose will be suitable?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion

Post by vlad01 »

BennVenn wrote:Vollks have what I want, around $400 for the front kit.

Are VN-VR accumulators barbed or built into the rail? The VK accumulator is barbed but they're not too common 'round these parts. Maybe 6m of rubber fuel hose will be suitable?

barbed
BennVenn
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200
Location: Windellama, NSW

Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion

Post by BennVenn »

Perfect!
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion

Post by VL400 »

BennVenn wrote:Internet dropped out and lost what I just wrote. You have it pegged, there are some conditions where it will loose sync - mainly if you request less than 10deg advance but that can also be overcome though a good selection of edge triggered logic.
Thats actually a difficult problem to get around, and is the reason every delco using the normal 4 wire interface with multiple coils has a reference angle higher than the maximum allowable delivered advance.

Many many years ago I tried to use two camira modules to drive a dual dizzy engine. Success was very limited due to the reference angle issue and eventually gave up on the idea. I know of one user on here that used two V8 modules to drive a dual dizzy setup with much better success.
BennVenn
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200
Location: Windellama, NSW

Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion

Post by BennVenn »

It shouldn't require any change to reference angle. Tdc reluctor signal will enable the bdc coil pack. Dwell will always begin and end after that pulse but before the next. Im designing my low profile distributor now. I'll cast it this weekend and show you it can easily be done. My method skips the need for a second VR sensor but the theory is the same
BennVenn
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200
Location: Windellama, NSW

Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion

Post by BennVenn »

This is what I have in mind.
Trigger.JPG
A 2 lobe trigger wheel tucked away inside a custom distributor. 2 optic sensors placed either 85 or 95 degrees apart (depending if I have any XOR or XNOR gates) The gated output (C) will be a 5degree pulse every 180 degrees of the crank, a direct replacement of the camira modules' output.

Either one of the optic sensors' outputs (A or B) can be used to gate the ignition pulse from the ECU to the right coil/coilpack.

This should work equally well with a 6/8 cyl.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BennVenn
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200
Location: Windellama, NSW

Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion

Post by BennVenn »

The fine print:
Trigger2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.