Weird ignition problem on V6

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Weird ignition problem on V6

Post by vlad01 »

My nephew's car had a moment the other day and he barely managed to limp it home due to some ignition related problem.

I looked at it today and it ran like a bucket of shit and behaved like it was cross firing.

Big internal clangs as you could see the engine momentarily reverse direction when running. I started disconnection the leads and found it ran best on one coil. One of them had no spark until a certain rpm.

So I replaced the coil, still same, replaced the DFI still same. So I thought maybe the ECU commanding odd timing? disconnected the ECU, so in the end only CAS and new coils and DFI were in the system.

Check this high speed video. :wtf:




So it seems it has moved the firing of one coil and superimposed it on another making that one fire twice.

Runs on the left coil only. The other working coil plugged up it kicks the engine violently in reverse. Interestingly when it gets to high enough revs the firing moves back to the middle coil and especially on decel. So when the leads are connected the engine suddenly comes to life at that rpm.

As everything is eliminated this can only be CAS related. Anyone seen something like this before?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Weird ignition problem on V6

Post by Holden202T »

yeah thats a bit odd, but certainly sounds like the only thing left is the CAS or chopper wheels on the balancer!
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Weird ignition problem on V6

Post by immortality »

Definitely odd. I too say it's a CAS issue or probably damaged blades on the interuptor wheels.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Weird ignition problem on V6

Post by vlad01 »

guess I'll take the balancer off and have a look.

My bets are on the CAS as 100% of the older style ones I have taken off engines have been cracked and generally crusty sad looking things.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Weird ignition problem on V6

Post by Charlescrown »

Like everyone else CAS or trigger rings. Don't suppose something got tangled up in there and has done mechanical damage? Easy enough to remove and have a look.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Weird ignition problem on V6

Post by vlad01 »

I dont see how as the shield is there and it has no noises from there when turning.
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: Weird ignition problem on V6

Post by psyolent »

definately CAS....or like its been mentioned the interrupter rings on the balancer being chewed out or something wierd. keen to know what you find dude.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
User avatar
TdracerTd
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:39 pm
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Re: Weird ignition problem on V6

Post by TdracerTd »

My money is on a gremlin.
Chuff
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Weird ignition problem on V6

Post by Chuff »

TdracerTd wrote:My money is on a gremlin.
Definitely a Gremlin. :D

Quickly off topic. Vlad, how'd you record the high speed video?
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Weird ignition problem on V6

Post by vlad01 »

The results are in. CAS was damaged.

Some douche didn't bother checking CAS to interrupter clearance when they installed a new powerbond OEM balancer and it had rubbed through to the point the magnet inside it came out and was trailing against the interrupter.

I found the old vacationers one in the boot of it and used that, setting the clearance to suit. All ding now! :thumbup: