I agree. Using a dizy especially on these engines where there is lash from the dizy to the drive dog to the dizy drive shaft to the cam and finally the crank gear.
This results in ignition scatter and far from ideal precision timing.
BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
-
BennVenn
- Posts: 536
- Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am
- cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200
- Location: Windellama, NSW
Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion
The ballancer is alluminium so not suitable for a vr sensor. I've got a trigger wheel and was going to fit an edis module but there doesn't seem any reason to now.
If my design doesn't work out I'll order one of those D1927A's
If my design doesn't work out I'll order one of those D1927A's
-
BennVenn
- Posts: 536
- Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am
- cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200
- Location: Windellama, NSW
Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion
I measured the movement at 10 crank degrees between rotor and crank. That is pretty sloppy! No doubt that would decrease with a warm engine plus with no dizzy cam lobes it should be fairly stable. Maybe...vlad01 wrote:I agree. Using a dizy especially on these engines where there is lash from the dizy to the drive dog to the dizy drive shaft to the cam and finally the crank gear.
This results in ignition scatter and far from ideal precision timing.
-
festy
- Posts: 1039
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am
- cars: Alfa Romeos
- Location: Narellan, NSW
Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion
Standard 6.3mm spade connector works fine for powerantus wrote: the 6 cyl connector looks to be available now from here: https://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnec ... ItemId=292 and the 3 pin here: https://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnec ... ItemId=564 still cant find the power one, though.
With an aluminium balancer you could just drill and tap some holes, and locktite steel grub screws in for the 'teeth'.
-
BennVenn
- Posts: 536
- Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am
- cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200
- Location: Windellama, NSW
Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion
Not a ballancer, just a pulley.
If I was to go that route I'd bolt 2 steel plates to the pulley to simulate the camira reluctor setup with a small cam phase sensor where the dizzy was.
It's not too late I suppose. Much to consider.
If I was to go that route I'd bolt 2 steel plates to the pulley to simulate the camira reluctor setup with a small cam phase sensor where the dizzy was.
It's not too late I suppose. Much to consider.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion
balancer lol.
VW don't even have counter weights on the crank. 1600cc are prone to breaking the crank in half due to vibrations. Formula vee guys hate the 1600 for this as the old 1200 cc series of formula vee they didn't suffer the vibrations as much and didn't just explode like the 1600 did at certain rpms.
VW don't even have counter weights on the crank. 1600cc are prone to breaking the crank in half due to vibrations. Formula vee guys hate the 1600 for this as the old 1200 cc series of formula vee they didn't suffer the vibrations as much and didn't just explode like the 1600 did at certain rpms.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion
totally un-related but my wife said your photo of the dizzy on the previous page is very arty 
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion
Pisser SamHolden202T wrote:totally un-related but my wife said your photo of the dizzy on the previous page is very arty
-
BennVenn
- Posts: 536
- Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am
- cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200
- Location: Windellama, NSW
Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion
Haha thanks Mrs Holden202THolden202T wrote:totally un-related but my wife said your photo of the dizzy on the previous page is very arty
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread