Gregs Fleet

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
TdracerTd
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:39 pm
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Re: GregsVN

Post by TdracerTd »

Brazing with tig... I didn't even know you could do that! Now I'm going to have to try it. :)
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: GregsVN

Post by HQ355 »

You need special tig brazing rods, normal ones don't work and it has to be spotless. AC and high frequency work well but you can also use DC with good results
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: GregsVN

Post by VL400 »

Yep, silicon bronze rods. Have to be very careful on the heat input to not melt the parent metal and only braze the joint.
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: GregsVN

Post by psyolent »

VL400, the holes were there for mudflaps. I won't be putting them on so filling them instead. I like the clean look on the VN.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: GregsVN

Post by vlad01 »

I have to get mine welded up and then redrill them. All the wholes are in the wrong locations to fit genuine mudflaps and Id say the holes are result of some cheap universal ones fitted at some stage.
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: GregsVN

Post by psyolent »

thats always another option vlad. i can't imagine these holes were in the right location either, as, one was too close to the edge and had basically become open. pointless really. installed by someone in a hurry who didn't give a shit clearly - its just a VN right.

Image
more filing

Image
more filing

Image
and some etch priming

much better
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: GregsVN

Post by vlad01 »

My holes are in between the factory locations, so out by 50mm or so.
vlt304
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 am
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Re: GregsVN

Post by vlt304 »

Holden202T wrote:if only they did accetylene! i have oxygen accetylene and argon, im over the rental increases every year!
Bunnings do D size oxy and acetylene with no rent here in Brisbane and total tools do argon and argosheild mig gas no rent. the refill is almost the same price as boc and done on a swap and go type system.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: GregsVN

Post by HQ355 »

I have total tools Argo sheild, I'd never go back to boc (bunch of cunts) after they tried reaming me for another 12 months of bottle rental when I returned my last one even though I had the paper work to prove I had paid 12 months up front when I got the bottle. My beer gas is on a special arrangement through a bikie I use to work with, $50 for a full bottle and no rent :)
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: GregsVN

Post by psyolent »

yeah i hear you vlad. these were just plain wrong, and, looked awful. now they look great and, will look fantastic with a coat of asteroid silver :D

i didn't know that vlt304.
pretty sure bunnings don't do it but total tools do so it seems.
alot of the places say you can use straight argon for MIG and mild steel work - this true? HQ355 - i like that $50 a bottle. win. even if it is for carbonation :)
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.