12P Flex Fuel Discussion

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: 12P Flex Fuel Discussion

Post by Dylan »

If only high ethanol fuel was available in my city. E10 is as exciting as it gets.
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: 12P Flex Fuel Discussion

Post by VL400 »

We all think about things differently, I dont think it added any confusion as good info was posted!

An E85 servo is about 10kms from me :) Pity its now more expensive per L than 98 octane, it has become very uneconomical.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 12P Flex Fuel Discussion

Post by vlad01 »

we have a few around in melbourne and its the same price as e10/91
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: 12P Flex Fuel Discussion

Post by Gareth »

I have to travel about 20ks and like vlad said, about the same cost as low end fuel. Still, I'm sure for most people its cheaper than methanol and street legal as well. It a great option for a track car - one of the most popular uses of all the hard delco work on here :thumbup:

Im watching this topic with great interest and am happy to test anything :D
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: 12P Flex Fuel Discussion

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Well I just filled my car up for the 1st time with E85 at the local United servo the other day & was gob smacked when it was 10c more then 98Ron & considering it's a bi-product & can only get 60% of the distance of equivalent amount of 91-98Ron from it!

I think purely for FI vehicles to get that extra bit safely if the price stays that high is really it's only reasonable time to use it IMHO.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: 12P Flex Fuel Discussion

Post by Dylan »

It certainly has it's place but that's not in a daily driver I don't think so.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 12P Flex Fuel Discussion

Post by vlad01 »

I have to disagree with that. I know of at least 2 people who run e85 as a daily fuel for years already in relatively stock commodores. Their comment is they'd never go back to petrol unless absolutely necessary.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: 12P Flex Fuel Discussion

Post by Dylan »

Sounds good what's maxe them like it so much? I was thinking from a cost side might jt doesn't slund economical. But a weekender of performance engine you'd be mad not to.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 12P Flex Fuel Discussion

Post by vlad01 »

Its resistance to knock and overall performance increase.

The guy I know fairly well has gone modded L67 route just the other week and he is a big advocate of e85. Should see some good results.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: 12P Flex Fuel Discussion

Post by Holden202T »

yeah boosted motor is a perfect example of E85 .... even if you had a commodore with 13:1 compression N/A then E85 would be perfect and if tuned to suit it, you would probably find that you could come close in economy, because you are making more power from it you can actually use less throttle to cruise with it so should get better economy, the question is then do you gain enough performance / economy to offset the extra usage!