RB30 XDF?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

RB30 XDF?

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Hey Guy's,

I didn't want to side track the xdf thread so thought I'd ask here!

How would you get a rb30 to tune to as they have a completely different ecu & no data log connector that I know of?

I'm sure it works & great thanks to Jayme, but sorry I'm just intrigued!

Cheers VX L67 Getrag
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: RB30 XDF?

Post by Jayme »

thats the problem... there is no datalogging on that ecu so you could use an external datalogger off your wideband to match up the rpms in the tables but the load (which is MAF/RPM) would be guesswork, though you may get close if you could datalog the MAF voltage and scale that a bit.

I havent done much tuning on them via the chip anyway as you tune spark by turning the dizzy and trim fuel by turning the screw on the MAF :P ive just converted a few stock ecus to the turbo bin.
thats where nistune is handy coz it replaces the eprom with nvram and taps a few pins on the cpu to guve you full datalogging and realtime tuning capability. you really cant beat it for the rb30ecu. pity its $500. thats why I was gonna convert my mates one to delco, no more silly MAF :D
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: RB30 XDF?

Post by antus »

I dont know my MAF too well, but isnt it usually a PWM signal? Or does the RB30 use voltage? If it is PWM then a you'd need something different to tap the signal than a voltage logging device.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: RB30 XDF?

Post by Jayme »

im 99% sure RB30 is voltage cant remember where I saw it but I clearly remember noting that the frequency method of the later commodores was a better method.
blownvp
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: RB30 XDF?

Post by blownvp »

hi everyone.the rb30 air flow meter is varying voltage.i think off memory about 1 to 7 volts out depending on airflow.theres a op amp chip in the ecu to convert it to 5 volts max.nistune sell a board that can convert the standard ecu into a programable setup via usb cable to laptop.it has dattalogging as well.nice bit of gear converted a standard rb30 ecu to nistune a while back and did a tune on an rb30t.cheers darren.